Berlingo Forum
Crisis averted - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Berlingo Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-7.html)
+--- Thread: Crisis averted (/thread-5725.html)

Pages: 1 2

Crisis averted - tanto - 14-04-2013

Almost did the unthinkable today. Was at the local Tesco with the wife and went to put in some fuel for a hospital visit on Monday, when I inadvertently pulled out the Unleaded nozzle and started to fill the tank. Very quickly I realised I should have been putting in diesel. DOH!!! In over 6 years of ownership of my Berlingo, I have never done this before. Glad I caught it in time, only put in 11p worth of petrol. Topped up with £20 of diesel, drove home no problem.
Had been having a bit off an "off day" with the wife and she got the blame for my mistake. All the way home I was nagged at , never again will I put in the wrong fuel. Just glad I stopped as quick as I did.

RE: Crisis averted - nil by mouth - 14-04-2013

11p of unleaded , got to be nearly a teardrop then by todays prices Grrrrr !

RE: Crisis averted - MudFT - 14-04-2013

Renault Espace, £40 petrol. then filled £30 diesel.
106,000 miles later, engine still ran as new!

Never seen a diesel 'damaged' with petrol.
DPF = unknown territory however!

RE: Crisis averted - ron - 14-04-2013

(14-04-2013, 08:22 PM)MudFT Wrote:  Renault Espace, £40 petrol. then filled £30 diesel.
106,000 miles later, engine still ran as new!

Never seen a diesel 'damaged' with petrol.
DPF = unknown territory however!

The older mechanical will not suffer from a drop of petrol.I used to add 1ltr per tank in my C15 for better winter starting.
With my HDi I would poop bricks.I have seen 2 common rails wrecked with misfuelling.salut:

RE: Crisis averted - Opensauce - 14-04-2013

If you do accidently put a bit of petrol in, chuck in half litre of 2 stroke oil to make up for the lack of lubrication.

RE: Crisis averted - tanto - 14-04-2013

(14-04-2013, 08:08 PM)nil by mouth Wrote:  11p of unleaded , got to be nearly a teardrop then by todays prices Grrrrr !

Didn't look to see how much it was just thankful I have quick reactions. The wife was more worried about it than I was, she took some convincing that it wouldnt do any harm.

RE: Crisis averted - nickyboy4 - 14-04-2013

Back in the day when i drove a furniture lorry, we always filled up 50/50 petrol and diesel as that was the only way to stop the diesel waxing up, Ford D0910 lorry now that was agricultural!

RE: Crisis averted - ron - 14-04-2013

(14-04-2013, 10:10 PM)nickyboy4 Wrote:  Back in the day when i drove a furniture lorry, we always filled up 50/50 petrol and diesel as that was the only way to stop the diesel waxing up, Ford D0910 lorry now that was agricultural!

Were they the ones that had the non working mod for cold starting,involving ether being pumped in at prodigeous rates?
Or was that just the A series?Confusedcratch:Confusedcratch:

RE: Crisis averted - j90xxx - 15-04-2013

(14-04-2013, 10:10 PM)nickyboy4 Wrote:  Back in the day when i drove a furniture lorry, we always filled up 50/50 petrol and diesel as that was the only way to stop the diesel waxing up, Ford D0910 lorry now that was agricultural!

My Dad bought a brand new Ford D0707 in 1974.
4.2lt diesel with 70bhp! That's 5bhp less than the Berlingo!
Think it cost £3,000. :thumbsup:

RE: Crisis averted - ffrenchie - 15-04-2013

It all beats the old farmer trick of lighting a fire under the sump Big Grin In the 70s my friend had a Leyland Terrier truck which had petrol mixed in with the diesel to help with the waxing problem, never as much as 50/50 just a couple of gallons to a tank. The garage sells a warning device which shouts "Diesel, diesel" at you when you open the fuel flap, really annoying. I don't know if it would work on a Berlingo fuel cap but Halfords have them at £4 here