Berlingo Forum
1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: 1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) (/thread-6011.html)

1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - Kokain - 20-05-2013

I went on a recon mission today trying to find some part numbers and fitments of 2 different engine size cat's and everyone stated the obvious "hmm, they look identical on our photos must be the same". First place was Citroen who I noticed were using this site to check http://service.citroen.com/socle/?start=true part numbers, but she came up with the lamest thing I ever heard, that they are all different, yet I can see on the diagram it's identical design. Now hear me out, I could accept the fact that yes they might be different but she kept pulling out 20 different cats starting 1731 + different letter like HV, J8, PS, JM, GD, MS......which leads me to believe this is bullshit as this is was for the M59 chassi alone. Give me a break I don't even think there is that many variations of engine sizes, let alone all using different shape cats. I asked her if the one from my registration fits other vehicles like 306 as I had some doubts but she said she is not allowed to tell me this information lololol.
You know now that I put more though into it, could it be so many models, 20+, because of mixture with Peugeot Partners? Yet the Peugeot 306 I looked into has exactly the same shape Cat.
Second place I checked was someone who deals with exhausts and gave some accurate Bosal, Klarius and EEC numbers which I predicted, but they also struggle to find if 1.6/1.4 match. This was because the 1.6 didn't had part number at all which made it look like it was listed under the 1.4 Bosal model.

Anyway all this trouble is because I need to find if 1.4 1.6 models match up, as somebody is offering a second hand cat but it's still for decent money and I don't want to just waste it finding the flange is slightly different, or the pipe shape has 5 degree more bend. Although I can probably modify those things easily. So anyone know?

RE: 1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - addo - 20-05-2013

You could ask for the donor VIN and see if the forward flange fitting kit is the same, also the band clamp to the rear. A quick browse suggests the 1.6 has a compressible donut sealing the cat to the manifold, where the 1.1/1.4 has a flat gasket of steel. Both appear to use the same kit at the other end of the front section.

I've noticed the 1.4 is often grouped with the 1.1 for parts, whereas the 1.6 is differently allocated. It may have a different pipe diameter in the case of what you're looking at.

Many Peugeot parts have different part numbers to Citroën, even when effectively the same article. I suspect this is for stock tracking. Sometimes there are odd differences, like Citroën specifying a thermoplastic steering gaiter on a rack while Peugeot variants have a rubber gaiter.

My personal experience with PSA cats would not encourage me to fit a used one. The ceramic matrix is in several "packs" and one of these can fail while the others look perfect; this causes the exhaust to block erratically.

RE: 1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - Kokain - 21-05-2013

Well I've decided to find out the hard way. Will let everyone know if it fits. Fingers crossed!

RE: 1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - Ol'Jeffers - 23-05-2013

QUOTE: Addo "Many Peugeot parts have different part numbers to Citroën, even when effectively the same article. I suspect this is for stock tracking."

A bit like Yamaha then, except not only do they list several different part numbers for an identical part
but they charge greatly differing prices for it too!!

RE: 1.6 16v & 1.4 Catalytic Converter (even Citroen don't know) - MudFT - 23-05-2013

(23-05-2013, 02:25 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  QUOTE: Addo "Many Peugeot parts have different part numbers to Citroën, even when effectively the same article. I suspect this is for stock tracking."

A bit like Yamaha then, except not only do they list several different part numbers for an identical part
but they charge greatly differing prices for it too!!

So true. More commonly know as a rip-off.
Sphere prices for a Citroen and a Rolls Royce!