Berlingo Forum
buying a mk2 berlingo - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: buying a mk2 berlingo (/thread-8359.html)

Pages: 1 2

buying a mk2 berlingo - mileysmk1 - 28-11-2013

iv started a search for a berlingo one came up for very cheap money but has not mot theres 127,000 miles on it. i was always told never to buy a van with out mot but this one looks very clean. what should i look for when buying it any common faults that could fail a mot?

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - crickleymal - 28-11-2013

Personally I wouldn't buy one without a decent length MOT either. You have to wonder why the seller hasn't put one on the car. Unless of course it's really really cheap.

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - geoff - 28-11-2013

(28-11-2013, 09:24 AM)mileysmk1 Wrote:  iv started a search for a berlingo one came up for very cheap money but has not mot theres 127,000 miles on it. i was always told never to buy a van with out mot but this one looks very clean. what should i look for when buying it any common faults that could fail a mot?

Assuming you can do the work yourself and the price is right then you could end up even money wise or with a super bargain perhaps.

Ensure all of the electrics work correctly and there are no warning dash lights on when engine is running - do check also that on the first turn of the key - pre ignition - that all the warning lights come on as they should as a dodgy owner often blacks out warning lights.

Rear axle bearing wear - look for rear wheels sloping inwards from the top as this will be expensive ! - search the forum.

Beyond this take a jack with you and look for all the usual steering and bearing wear items, is the exhaust clapped out.

Check oils and water of course.

Take a look at the owner too and make a value judgement whilst blocking out all the blarney that may be coming your way and if you want some peace to look at the vehicle then just ask the owner to stop talking.

Just be careful .... and ask why it is cheap and has no MOT .....
and again look to assessing the owner !

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - mileysmk1 - 28-11-2013

cheers for the replys lads! iv heard about the axles giving trouble on them, as for owner he seams to want rid very quick

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - stuartinlancashire - 28-11-2013

You could bag yourself a bargain if your handy with the spanners, on the other hand you might end up with a nightmare!

I think if it was me I'd only consider it if the seller had recently put it through a test and it had failed, that way you have some clues what is definitely wrong with it. Of course there could be other things wrong that aren't part of the test so as the others have said you need to go over it with a fine toothcomb and don't be sucked in by the sellers blurb. If you're not 100% happy with it then walk away.

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - steve valentine - 28-11-2013

I've never understood why people sell a vehicle for such a low price with no MOT when they are so confident it will pass. I'd rather spend an hour getting it done and reaping the rewards myself.

Oh wait, it's because they know us sh*gged.

The best one is, 'there's a slight fault with such and such but I've been told it's a three minute job with a 50p part.......'

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - pidgeonpost - 28-11-2013

I would have thought that if the owner wanted shot of it in a hurry then having an MOT would make it sell more quickly. Having said that, the existence of a crisp new MOT is no form of warranty.
Wouldn't touch it meself....

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - geoff - 28-11-2013

Perhaps the original poster would give some more details on the vehicle ?

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - mileysmk1 - 28-11-2013

cheers for the help and wise words gents! Geoff this is the advert 04 Citreon Berlingo Black for sale 127,000 1.9 roof rack,towbar Sony cd player €1000 if gone by sunday first to see will buy!!! Swap considered for small petrol car

RE: buying a mk2 berlingo - steve valentine - 28-11-2013

That's too much for no MOT. I was expecting about £250