Berlingo Forum
6th gear, well nearly - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: B9 Second Generation (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-10.html)
+--- Thread: 6th gear, well nearly (/thread-8585.html)

Pages: 1 2

6th gear, well nearly - Bigian - 03-01-2014

I was out and about last night and at around 60mph went to put the car in 6th gear. I know there isn't one but my last vehicle did have and I slipped into blonde mode. I was just about to let the clutch out when I realised my mistake.

Why on earth is there no proper gate to prevent you doing this? If I'd let the clutch out I would have been looking for a new gearbox at the very least, scary or what?

Anyone else made this mistake?

Cheers

Ian

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - fike - 03-01-2014

Haven't done it yet but have to keep reminding myself it only has five gears ,so used to six speed boxes.

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - addo - 03-01-2014

Once or twice a year I grab the lighting stalk and attempt to put the car in first gear.

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - ffrenchie - 04-01-2014

(03-01-2014, 08:02 PM)Bigian Wrote:  I was out and about last night and at around 60mph went to put the car in 6th gear. I know there isn't one but my last vehicle did have and I slipped into blonde mode. I was just about to let the clutch out when I realised my mistake.

I'm still in third at 60 :lol: Proper blonde would be if you opened the door to let the clutch out Confusedalut:

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - Argos69 - 17-01-2014

My five speed van always feels like it ought to have that missing sixth gear!

So, to simply sum up…..

First I reach down for a second because fifth feels like fourth.
Sometimes this happens in reverse….
So I just go forth in fifth….. :eek:

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - ffrenchie - 17-01-2014

(03-01-2014, 08:02 PM)Bigian Wrote:  Why on earth is there no proper gate to prevent you doing this? If I'd let the clutch out I would have been looking for a new gearbox at the very least, scary or what?

There is no synchromesh on reverse so the crunch should stop you. On my mk2 car you have to push the lever hard across and back to select reverse. Is there something wrong with your linkage ? Last car we had was a Kia and the controls were back to front so every so often I flash my wipers at people and indicate to wash the screen Big Grin

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - Bigian - 17-01-2014

(17-01-2014, 06:01 PM)ffrenchie Wrote:  
(03-01-2014, 08:02 PM)Bigian Wrote:  Why on earth is there no proper gate to prevent you doing this? If I'd let the clutch out I would have been looking for a new gearbox at the very least, scary or what?

There is no synchromesh on reverse so the crunch should stop you. On my mk2 car you have to push the lever hard across and back to select reverse. Is there something wrong with your linkage ? Last car we had was a Kia and the controls were back to front so every so often I flash my wipers at people and indicate to wash the screen Big Grin

Everything is fine with the box, only done 9000 miles but you can feed it into reverse at speed, scary stuff. I'm coming to terms with 5 gears now so hopefully no more scares

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - Ol'Jeffers - 17-01-2014

Surely it's impossible to engage reverse from 5th. anyway.
The layshaft is spinning in the wrong direction and if you tried
although you might get monumental crunching it would never mesh.
As already asked...Why doesn't the box on a Mk.3 have a gate.

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - ron - 17-01-2014

It's not impossible as a couple of my customers proved.One had a huge hole in the gearbox case.Not cheap.Rolleyes

RE: 6th gear, well nearly - Ol'Jeffers - 17-01-2014

WoW!! :eek: A bit like the Daily Telegraph motoring correspondent who was test driving a new Jaguar sports
and managed to get that into reverse at over 150mph!! BANG!!! :whistle: