Berlingo Forum
Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M59 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-28.html)
+--- Thread: Speedo & Milometer Problem! (/thread-8603.html)

Pages: 1 2

Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Kev82 - 05-01-2014

Hi All,
Been reading several threads on here since yesterday morning and just had to sign up to see if you knowledgeable people can help me.
I'm gonna give as much information as I can but please bare in mind i'm a newbie when it comes to mechanics but don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Purchased a van via fleabay on Friday night. Even thought I was going fully equipped buy coughing up a few quid on a mobile mechanic to attend to make sure all is ok.

So I finally jump in the Van yesterday afternoon which is a 1.6 TDI 600 Hdi Lx 75 (07 plate) . And then within a minute of driving I noticed the speedo weren't going up at all. Then confirmed the millage was illuminated but stuck on the same number (51655). When I phoned the mechanic who attended (and also drove it home!) he said "err I don't know, didn't think to check that" :brickwall:

A neighbour of mine today plugged in his code read in which it picked up 1 fault which was DTC P1351 He then cleared the fault as he explained to me it may be a previous fault which has since been fixed but not cleared. Took it for a spin whilst still hooked up to the reader and the P1351 has NOT showed up again. So i'm interested to know what this was but yet I don't believe this is linked.

I've read on here that people have had to look at the speed sensor near gearbox and also the cables leading to and from it etc. I also read a comment from a guy called Rustscrat (seems like a proper knowledgeable fella) who mentioned it could be the sensors drive/ gear pinions (whatever they are) but this was a comment with a chap who just had his clutch changed. I have a shed load of paperwork showing previous works on the vehicle and see the clutch was changed in 2012 and don't reckon it will be that as I can see on the paperwork on works done after, the millage printed has increased.

Everything else within that area like the Rev counter and fuel gauge appears to work fine. So on that basis can it be defined as one or two things? or could it literally be anything from BSI, to ECU, sensor wires etc. I don't even have the Haynes manuel to be able to locate where the sensor or BSI is.
Im clueless lol, please help. And please let me know if I have missed any info that will help.

Would really be grateful for your time.
Thanks in advance
Kev

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Rustscrat - 05-01-2014

If the the mileage is lit up and present and the needle is not moving on the speedo - Check the speed sensor on the differential housing that you mentioned.
Check that the cable is connected to it and if you can, remove it and make sure that it's not broken etc.
You can test this by spinning the pinion with the ignition on and seeing if the speedo flicks. (Spin it in both directions).
It's reinsertion of the off side drive shaft that breaks the pinion. :thumbsup:

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Kev82 - 05-01-2014

(05-01-2014, 08:30 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  If the the mileage is lit up and present and the needle is not moving on the speedo - Check the speed sensor on the differential housing that you mentioned.
Check that the cable is connected to it and if you can, remove it and make sure that it's not broken etc.
You can test this by spinning the pinion with the ignition on and seeing if the speedo flicks. (Spin it in both directions).
It's reinsertion of the off side drive shaft that breaks the pinion. :thumbsup:

Hi Rustscrat,

I speak of you and here you are! many thanks for posting.

I'm not sure what i mentioned, i.e when you say "differental housing" i don't know what this is. Are you referring to the sensor near the gearbox? if so, is this is some plastic housing then? or is the sensor just attached by a connector adjacent to gearbox?

And apologies but like i said i'm a mechanical noob but when you say "pinion" is this something that looks like a cog/spindle?
and if unplugged or unattaching the sensor to look at it, is a battery disconnection required? (as i saw some of your guides and im paranoid i'll just damage the thing you guys call BCM)

Thanks again,
Kev

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Rustscrat - 06-01-2014

It's a bit of a pig to get to but if you can follow the R/H drive shaft to where it goes in to the gearbox, the sensor is on top of this. You might be able to lean over the engine and see it as well but it's easier on mine from underneath.
"A" is the sensor and item 2 is the pinion. :thumbsup:
[attachment=1452]

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Kev82 - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:38 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  It's a bit of a pig to get to but if you can follow the R/H drive shaft to where it goes in to the gearbox, the sensor is on top of this. You might be able to lean over the engine and see it as well but it's easier on mine from underneath.
"A" is the sensor and item 2 is the pinion. :thumbsup:

Hi Rustscrat,

All starting to make sense i believe, many thanks for the diagram.
So going by that diagram and your 1st post to me about spinning the pinion, I gather you remove the sensor and leave the pinion sitting within that other part in the diagram (whats that?) and turning this
should in turn see activity on the speedo needle. Or have i got this so wrong and you actually leave everything conected and you can access (twist) the pinion via the top of the sensor.

I also had a browse on ebay and searched "berlingo speed sensor" and saw two different types. There were the stand-alone sensor that was about £12 and looks simular to the diagram you just sent but doesn't list my model in the sellars listed table or theres others described as abs/wheel sensor which looks like its on a 1200mm length cable and are around £50 but yet list my van. So is this a totally different thing? as i do recall reading somewhere on here that the abs/speed sensor are next to eachother and does this 50 quid cable i see do both? or am I getting mixed up again.

The one I describe as stand-alone sensor I have found these part numbers:-
OEM No: 616070, 9623111980, 9635080680, 9635057280
sound familiar?

Thanks for you help so far, much appreciated

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Rustscrat - 06-01-2014

If you P/Mail me your Vin No. then I can get the OEM part No. for you.:thumbsup:

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Rustscrat - 07-01-2014

The speed sensor OEM No. for yours is - 6160 70
The Pinion OEM is - 2649 11 (17dts)
Confusedalut:

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Kev82 - 07-01-2014

(07-01-2014, 05:52 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  The speed sensor OEM No. for yours is - 6160 70
The Pinion OEM is - 2649 11 (17dts)
Confusedalut:

Thank you for all your help Rustscrat. Now i'm armed just in case the sensor needs replacing.
I'll let you know how I get on.

and up until your last post i assumed the pinion was a part of the sensor, but obviously not.

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Tyred - 07-01-2014

I have had this problem. Normally accompanied with a loss of power. Try giving the thing a blast along a motorway / dual carriageway for a few miles. I do this now on a regular basis and this problem, whilst not gone completely has significantly improved things and it has not happened now for a couple of weeks. Worth a try and costs you little other than fuel Smile

Have a look at this thread http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=8177 to see if it might help.

RE: Speedo & Milometer Problem! - Kev82 - 07-01-2014

(07-01-2014, 10:00 PM)Tyred Wrote:  I have had this problem. Normally accompanied with a loss of power. Try giving the thing a blast along a motorway / dual carriageway for a few miles. I do this now on a regular basis and this problem, whilst not gone completely has significantly improved things and it has not happened now for a couple of weeks. Worth a try and costs you little other than fuel Smile

Have a look at this thread http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=8177 to see if it might help.

Hi Tyred,

I only do short journey's in the van (not a work van) so yeah, I was definately planning to give it a run up and down the motorway every 2-3 months just too blast any crap out. But with regards to that solving your issue that's interesting.....
Not dismissing what is working for you, but "giving it a blast" just seems a weird solution to get a speedo needle working again, maybe you have a dodgy/ connection? i just thought something like a speedo going has to be something not quite right with some part(s) electrically, whether it's intermittent or not. But maybe i'm wrong.....