Berlingo Forum
Breathalyser - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Introductions, Feedback & Site Rules, & General Chat (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Drivers Café (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: Breathalyser (/thread-8740.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Breathalyser - philip - 20-01-2014

Next week we are driving to Holland and will be using Eurotunnel. Do we by law need to Have a breathalyser kit? We will only be in France for about 45 mins.

RE: Breathalyser - Lighty - 20-01-2014

This could be untrue, but we were told that French police had to make you use your own breathalysers due to human rights issues. So if you do not have one it's a €30 fine, good value if you are pissed Big Grin

Some how I doubt it's to do with human right issues. [MONEY BAG]

Re: Breathalyser - Andre - 20-01-2014

Yes you will need one if you get stopped...but given the time of day and it being only 45 mins, unless you give them a reason to think you're drunk you should be ok

Sent via Mobile

RE: Breathalyser - ron - 20-01-2014

I flit from Dunkirk to Belgium & don't carry them.Don't buy them on the ferry,they cost double.:thumbsup:

I wonder if they do spot checks?

RE: Breathalyser - addo - 20-01-2014

No; they don't carry spotalysers.

RE: Breathalyser - 3rensho - 21-01-2014

Last I heard (from French friends who live in a neighbouring French village) they are no longer required. I drive thru France virtually every day and have never seen any spot checks or ever heard of anyone being checked.

RE: Breathalyser - Bigian - 21-01-2014

(20-01-2014, 10:19 PM)Andre Wrote:  Yes you will need one if you get stopped...but given the time of day and it being only 45 mins, unless you give them a reason to think you're drunk you should be ok

Sent via Mobile
It's now a grey area this one, you are supposed to carry a breathalyser kit in France when driving but they've suspended the fine, the Gov't have backtracked however not all the Police seem to be aware and the law remains imprecise.

I personally carry two with me, for a tenner it's piece of mind and one less thing for the Gendarmerie to bother about.:-

Breathalysers

1 March 2012 - the French government confirmed that from 1 July 2012 drivers of all motor vehicles and motorcycles (excluding mopeds) must carry a breathalyser. The regulation will be enforced from 1 November 2012 and anyone stopped after that date who fails to produce a breathalyser when requested will receive an on the spot fine of €11.

October 2012 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed from 1 November 2012 to 1 March 2013.

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

The original official announcement stated that one unused, certified breathalyser must be produced showing the French certification mark NF. Carrying two single-use breathalysers will ensure that if one is used or damaged, you will still have a spare to produce. The breathalyser produced has to be in date - single-use breathalysers normally have a validity of twelve months.

Cheers Ian

RE: Breathalyser - crickleymal - 21-01-2014

(20-01-2014, 10:53 PM)addo Wrote:  No; they don't carry spotalysers.

:lol::lol:

Halfords were selling them at the tills the other day. I must admit I didn't check the price as I don't ever intend to visit France but IIRC they were pretty cheap.