Berlingo Forum
Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - Printable Version

+- Berlingo Forum (https://www.berlingoforum.com)
+-- Forum: Specific Model Chat, Problems and Faults (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: M49 Berlingo (https://www.berlingoforum.com/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement (/thread-9038.html)

Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - aitchp - 22-02-2014

Hi to anybody who can help :wave:

I've just acquired a Berlingo 2002 Multispace (Mk1 I think), but the tailgate lock cylinder is missing (someone must've had a problem and removed it to try and sort the :censored:, which is not uncommon by all accounts... Sad). Being of the 'fairer' sex, I know nowt 'bout mechanics, but I'm willing to give it a bash.

There's no central locking and the tailgate handle still works fine. What I need to know is whether the lock barrel for a tailgate is different to, say, front door barrels? If so, does anyone know a relevant part number? I'm having difficulty tracking down what I think I might need, but then, I'm not really sure I'm looking for the right thing... I've found a secondhand tailgate handle with the lock cylinder included, but it's only got one key. I'd prefer a new lock and two keys, but I'd manage with one.

Would it be a lot easier to replace the handle and cylinder than just a cylinder? If replacing just the cylinder would be manageable then I'm happy to give it a go (assuming I can get just the cylinder without forking out too much for it). I'd be grateful for any advice, particularly how difficult it's likely to be, how to fit a new cylinder etc.

Thanks in advance
aitchp

RE: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - Berlingoshow - 22-02-2014

Hi I got a set of four on ebay for thirty pounds. The front doors have slightly different cams on the barrels. They will work but you will have to hold the rear door handle and then turn the key or it will just open and not close. It's a two minute job on a berlingo mk1 but not sure if yours is different in type

RE: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - aitchp - 22-02-2014

Hmm, thanks Berlingoshow. That's a possible way to go - I'll bear it in mind and let you know if I'm interested.

RE: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - SeeRed - 03-06-2015

(22-02-2014, 07:34 PM)aitchp Wrote:  Hmm, thanks Berlingoshow. That's a possible way to go - I'll bear it in mind and let you know if I'm interested.

Mk 1 Berlingo - one piece lift up tailgate - does anyone know if it is possible to buy the lock barrel with new keys as a separate item? Cirtoen quoted £158 with non-matching keys which seems absurd.

The vehicle is the last of the old type headlights - RPO = 09362, manufactured June 2002. 1.9D.

Most of ebay entries seem to be for the twin rear doors (Partner van etc).

The symptoms are the key goes in and turns but needs wiggling to lock or unlock the door latch.

It does not have central locking.

Thank you.

RE: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - Tomcat3 - 04-06-2015

Have you tried an autolocksmith in your area as they are usually able to rebuild the lock to your original key for a lot less than a main dealer.

RE: Tailgate lock cylinder replacement - ricc - 14-06-2015

if your spare handle and lock will fit you can get a 2nd key cut , theres a high street shoe repairer that will do them, only downside is youve then got different keys for front and back doors.