Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
[Transmission] Berlingo 2.0hdi clutch problem
Hi.
I am new to this site but previously accessed any related topics for support as a guest. I have just fitted a new budget clutch to my partners car (Berlingo 2004 2.0hdi) and thought it to be a quick fix (gearbox in and out). Checked everything pretty carefully but it is now struggling to get into gear; actually it won't go into gear to be precise but will when engine is off. Any help appreciated.
Any grinding noise when you try to engage a gear?
My golden rule is to fit a quality item once rather than chance a "budget" item.Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(09-08-2014, 08:20 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Any grinding noise when you try to engage a gear?

Yes, unfortunately it is grinding in all gear attempts. I was hoping it wasnt the clutch itself but something id overlooked

Thanks for reply
(09-08-2014, 08:48 PM)ron Wrote:  My golden rule is to fit a quality item once rather than chance a "budget" item.Confusedalut:

That is fair enough but by that token are you saying that you expect all budget clutches not to work when you install them. The thing I found flimsey on it was the release bearing connection to the fork which wasn't great but that might be the same on a substantial kit. Thanks for your reply anyway
if its not hydraulic/release cable related then its time for the box to come back out.
Sounds like your clutch cable requires adjustment,

What cable do you have?

Have you tried testing it by running the engine with it jacked up and operating the release lever on the clutch manually to see if it will go into gear?

That will tell you where the problem is.
(10-08-2014, 03:09 PM)homeruk Wrote:  Sounds like your clutch cable requires adjustment,

What cable do you have?

Have you tried testing it by running the engine with it jacked up and operating the release lever on the clutch manually to see if it will go into gear?

That will tell you where the problem is.

thanks I will have a go with that tomorrow as it is pouring down at the minute. I will let you know the outcome.

(10-08-2014, 02:13 PM)polar Wrote:  if its not hydraulic/release cable related then its time for the box to come back out.

Thanks that what I was fearing. I will test the clutch release on axle stands tomorrow though to eliminate everything else
(10-08-2014, 09:01 AM)aanyaak Wrote:  
(09-08-2014, 08:48 PM)ron Wrote:  My golden rule is to fit a quality item once rather than chance a "budget" item.Confusedalut:

That is fair enough but by that token are you saying that you expect all budget clutches not to work when you install them. The thing I found flimsey on it was the release bearing connection to the fork which wasn't great but that might be the same on a substantial kit. Thanks for your reply anyway

I learnt through experience in the motor trade that a lot of "budget" clutches,to use a technical term,are crap. There are makes that are known to be good,Luk,Unipart,Sachs etc.Never buy on price alone,a good discount on a quality part is better than a cheap part.:thumbsup:Confusedalut: Good quality parts fit & feel better as well.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Did you check the pressure plate markings to make sure it was the right way round ? Seen it done more than once.
So where does this bit go then ?