Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bumper scratches
Any advice on sorting these scratches out would be appreciated. The vehicle is a 13 reg XTR silver metallic. No great issue but they bug me. In the corner section of the kerbside rear bumper from a fence screw in my drive I managed to put in two scratches about 100mm long, through past the paint. Blush With success I have done hair scratches before.
I have had several goes at them having googled and youtubed the subject, the scratches are still pretty obvious ;I do have the right paint. My dealer at a service quoted about £100 and I would have difficulty matching the paint as the original will have faded. As this will be the case if no other idea is forthcomimg I wondered about thinking outside the box and covering them up with something ,sticker or the like.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-acc...ctor-370mm

Would something like that work? Would also give the added protection if you ever catch it again.
13 reg will not have faded or it should go back to be sorted under warranty for paint defects. I had an aerosol of aluminium gris mixed for my bumper and it is fine for my 03 car for touching up. It cost £13 and will last for ages. You do need to lacquer over it and cut it after but I've been doing it for years so no problem. You do need to fill any deep scratches and rub back down to level the raised edges but with patience you can achieve decent results. I'm not a perfectionist and as long as it's all one colour I'm happy. Big Grin
So where does this bit go then ?
(14-11-2015, 09:25 PM)doofer Wrote:  I don't think you can get as good a job as spraying without spraying it.

You can't brush metallic finishes, the metallic particles sink and they just look dull.
I have bought the bumper protectors mentioned in earlier post.
Doofer has it right, whilst I made the scratch smooth, the paint came out darker. I think it was less dark if I mixed a bit to lacquer with the paint. I could see if I really had a go at it there would be a spray job needed over a much larger area. I was in danger of making them more visible. Probably needed spray cans rather than bottles and brushes.
At the end of the day,it's plastic so it won't rust & you can't see it from the drivers' seat.That's my philosophy.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ron for this post:
  • andy-womble
(19-11-2015, 11:01 PM)ron Wrote:  At the end of the day,it's plastic so it won't rust & you can't see it from the drivers' seat.That's my philosophy.

And it's there to take the knocks so it's doing it's job.  Big Grin
If you have an airbrush ( £20 ) and buy the paint and top coat then do it diy otherwise a price of £100 from a dealer is good value. Out of interest I do my own spraying whether airbrush scratch repairs or full body works.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
I guess the price quoted is ok, tis my Yorkshire frugalness; must be in the DNA.