Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0 hdi not starting, injector wiring fault?
Is everyone sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....

I'm currently "borrowing" (like all sons do) my dads 52 reg berlingo multispace with the 2.0 hdi engine, running Siemens engine management, which until very recently, has been no trouble at all, the only real problem has been slow starting from cold, once hot it started with no trouble.
Because of this it was decided that the glow plugs should be changed, I dutifully did so, cleaning around the area with gunk beforehand.
All of which made absolutely no change to the way the car started from cold.
Unfortunately the car now developed a hesitation when the throttle was applied, I assumed that water had got into a connector when the gunk was rinsed away.

So all electrical connections were checked and cleaned......the hesitation was still there.

The throttle position sensor was then replaced......no change, 
The camshaft sensor was replaced.......no change,
The crankshaft sensor was changed (a real bugger to get to).......no change.

When driven, the car behaved normally most of the time, but once in a while there would be no response from the throttle, you could operate the clutch and apply the throttle and the engine would rev again, or let the revs drop to below 2000 RPM and it would pick up again.

Then it began to have trouble starting.
The starter motor was probably on its last legs when the slow cranking from cold began a few years ago, but finally died half way up my drive.
A new starter was sourced and fitted and hey presto, it spun and started after about two cranks from cold ??

BUT the hesitation was still there......
From this point on it wasn't starting like it should, cranked like a dream but would not catch.

Finally it would not start at all!

All electrical connections were re-checked....ok
Fuel was getting to the pump, no air or contaminants were found in the filter.

I finally called in a mobile mechanic who connected his diagnostic computer to the OBD port and reported that all sensors were working. He then spent two hours checking and re-checking all the electrical connections and components, to no avail.

He could get the engine to fire, but only with easy-start, which was simply burning instead of the fuel from the injectors.

I can't remember the code, but it was saying "injector fault", the actual injectors were not touched, except when the plugs were disconnected to get at the glow plugs, the fuel pressure sensor was showing 4200-ish PSI, so fuel pressure is present in the rail, just not getting to the engine.
The  mechanic thought it was a problem with either the wiring to the injectors, the fuel pump not giving enough pressure, or the ecu.

I have been looking through pretty much every "2.0 Hdi not starting" post on here and can't see any specific the injector wiring loom.

So.......Has anyone ever had any trouble with the actual injector wiring in a 2.0 Hdi? 

And if so, do you have any advice, wiring diagrams, etc that would help me.

Many thanks in advance,
Mark.
You have to plug your car to Lexia and post here error codes.
OBD code reader is useless in this case...

Did you replace fuel filter?

Best regards,
brajomobil
Thanks for the reply,

The fuel filter was replaced, the mechanic checked it again, the fuel was clean and no air is present in the clear tubes supplying the pumps.

What is Lexia?

My OBD reader didn't work, but his Snap-on reader read everything, he said that if anything was iffy with the injectors/injector wiring/ecu, because the pressure was that high with Hdi's then the ecu would just shut down for safety.

I'll ask him if he can get the code......

Many thanks,

Mark.
Disconnect the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference. It sounds like the symptoms mine had.
So where does this bit go then ?
On the HDI's you don't need glow plugs to start unless temp is well into the minuses!

(30-03-2016, 10:13 PM)Mark Glaister Wrote:  the fuel pressure sensor was showing 4200-ish PSI,

(31-03-2016, 08:37 AM)Mark Glaister Wrote:  he said that if anything was iffy with the injectors/injector wiring/ecu, because the pressure was that high with Hdi's then the ecu would just shut down for safety.

Are you saying he thinks the pressure is too high as that pressure is about right?

PS the Snap on system, or any pro system will be fine, it's the cheap code readers that don't work properly. You really only need Lexia / PP2000 for certain things on PSA products.

Get you mechanic to try a set of noid lights on the injectors to see if they are receiving a pulse, if not, see if you are getting a "+" feed to them.

One more thing, could you have got water into the engine ECU when you cleaned it?
Thanks for the replies,

MAF sensor has already been disconnected, and re-connected...no change.
The glow plugs aren't the problem, they do work as we get a voltage to them when tested, and (as mentioned) the temperature isn't low enough anyhow.
The ecu is bone dry, when it washed down it was towards the drivers side, I.e, away from most of the electronic gizmos.
The mechanic said that the pressure in the Hdi system could theoretically blow a hole in a piston, which is why any discrepancies or faults with the injectors cause the ecu to shut down.
As the pressure was 4000psi I'm assuming the fuel pump is working, and also the pressure sensor, and do all your injectors fail at the same time?
I'm leaning towards dodgy wiring between the ecu and the injectors, as the sensors seem to be ok (as they are giving a reading/signal), also this started to happen after I had put new glow plugs in, after washing the engine down and moving the injector wiring harness out the way to gain access.

Is this the Lexia interface required to quiz the ecu?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Ship-PP2000...SwxvxW7QD1
Mark if you are thinking of getting a lexia clone try http://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/

The guy will give you some back up if you have trouble getting the software to load - this is not uncommon. He is more expensive and very money orientated, like everyone, but at least you will get some support.
Good stuff, thanks for that ?
Maybe if you are close to someone from forum with Lexia you can go there first.
Lexia is not cheap and it is a pain to install.
Snap on is good diagnostic but nothing compares to Lexia. 
It is Citroen official diagnostic.

In this case it is crucial to get right error code ! Not generic one...

Best regards,
brajomobil
(01-04-2016, 06:23 AM)brajomobil Wrote:  Maybe if you are close to someone from forum with Lexia you can go there first.
Lexia is not cheap and it is a pain to install.
Snap on is good diagnostic but nothing compares to Lexia. 
It is Citroen official diagnostic.

In this case it is crucial to get right error code ! Not generic one...

Best regards,
brajomobil
I have Lexia / PP2000 / Diagbox, but because it's laptop based, I prefer to use a hand held scanner as it's quicker to set up. I have a Macscan unit and attatched battery powered printerand have access to Launch and Snapon.
My Macscan has never given me a false code or any errors and gives me manufacturers codes..
I can also see live data. It will read airbag imobiliser and ABS faults too. The only thing it won't read is things like roof ECU on convertables, and that's when I use Lexia.
Once I have Lexia set up,I have to save the results as a file so that when I go indoors I can print it. As I said, my Mac scan is a lot quicker.
I also have Star for Mercs, but the same thing applies. My Macscan is my first weapon of choice.