Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Lock Question
Hi All,

I have a 2009 Belingo that has central locking (not remote) that has stopped working on the passenger side and is getting "sticky" on the drivers side.  The key will not go fully into the lock on the passenger side and I need to wiggle it slightly to get it into the drivers lock.  Once its in it occasionally wont turn at all and takes a couple of attempts to unlock.

I've been told by an auto-locksmith that this is a common problem and the barrels need replacing but it will cost £200.00 + VAT.  Is this an easy job to do and can anyone point in the right direction for which lock barrels to buy for a 2009 Berlingo?

Thanks
Have you tried giving the locks and barrels a good spray with WD or something like that - they do need lubricating from time to time.
(07-06-2016, 03:37 PM)polar Wrote:  Have you tried giving the locks and barrels a good spray with WD or something like that - they do need lubricating from time to time.

Yep, tried that.  I was then told under no circumstances should you ever use WD40 on locks as it can make them worse?? Huh
EBay will be cheaper,get a full set cheapish
(07-06-2016, 03:54 PM)Block99 Wrote:  
(07-06-2016, 03:37 PM)polar Wrote:  Have you tried giving the locks and barrels a good spray with WD or something like that - they do need lubricating from time to time.

Yep, tried that.  I was then told under no circumstances should you ever use WD40 on locks as it can make them worse?? Huh

Thats a good one with no basis in fact  Wink
I had this on my Xsara Picasso, took about an hour of spraying, waiting, wiggling, and repeating until it freed up, then left a few days and sprayed with switch cleaner to dissolve all the crud followed by a good squirt of silicon spray, re applied once a month. worked a treat.
2012 Berlingo Multispace VTR 1.6HDI White
(07-06-2016, 03:54 PM)Block99 Wrote:  

I was told years ago that powdered graphite was the thing to use instead of oil based products.  A small 'puffer' type container of this has lasted me all that time and is still going strong.  Never had to use it on a car door but it has always done a grand job on my front door lock or my shed padlock.  Presumably it can still be purchased from a decent locksmith.
It's quite unlikely that your Berlingo doesn't have remote central locking, you probably just didn't get the correct plip key.
You could get a replacement key programmed & this would work remotely , then you wouldn't need to use the locks.