Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] Stiff Clutch Pedal, Low Bite Point
Hi.
New to the forum - In nov 2015 I bought my Boss's Spare Berlingo Van 2.0 600HDI, Manual, 2003 registered (Which at the time was ideal, as invariably there's only ever me "In it" and I needed more space, carrying various items to & from the boatyard)

Despite doing just a tad over 100,000 I've been pleased enough with it - it drives smooth as one would expect for age & mileage covered, The Engine is as quiet as one would expect for a Diesel.

I am partially disabled (Left leg shorter than right, hip damage) and usually own automatics, but as I've now changed where I live, The bulk of the runs I now do is long runs, so I can "get away" with owning a manual.

When I first owned the van, driving it, I didn't feel too bad - the clutch bite was high enough and I managed to be able to engage & change gear fairly high up the pedal travel. Recently in the last month or so I've noticed the clutch becoming stiffer to operate, and the clutch pedal resting point being a good 2-3 inches higher than the brake pedal, which means I cannot now take my foot off the clutch to rest when driving.

I've had a local garage look at it and they replaced the cable but this ended up making no difference and now the bite point is virtually on the floor. They've worked on it again today and decided to re-fit my old cable to attempt to revert it to it's old setup (where I could engage the clutch & change gear fairly high up). This has made no difference to how it was when they changed the cable initially.

They've said if the cable doesn't help, then it will be the "fingers" at fault - I don't want to un-necessarily spend £300-£500 on replacing the clutch when this potentially could have no affect at all.

Can somebody help with some opinion?
My clutch pedal is higher than the other pedals,and was a bit stiff,I sprayed it with wd40,made it a lot better, so every now and then i spray with a bit of grease ,but still high,I think its a Berlingo thing,but my bites about half way
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Johny555 for this post:
  • Gary Lauderdale
(28-06-2016, 01:01 PM)Johny555 Wrote:  My clutch pedal is higher than the other pedals,and was a bit stiff,I sprayed it with wd40,made it a lot better, so every now and then i spray with a bit of grease ,but still high,I think its a Berlingo thing,but my bites about half way

Which parts of the pedal do you spray? all of them?  Huh
The cable has a large effect on this, only the genuine dealer ones work properly, but they cost @ £100 + vat, this will allow you to get the correct biting point.
If the pedal has come up too high, it may be that part of the clutch pedal mech is missing, there is a plastic Spring & plunger mech that controls this, and it may have been removed when the cable was done.
See the part I refer to with the green Spring
[Image: ff18252f8f076b700942bdbdf7377bb8_zpsrgehkupk.jpg]
I spray all the pedal at the top,all moving parts,give it a try it made my pedal lot better