Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.13 Average
What to check next?
Hey Folks hope you are enjoying a sunny morning. Need a few Ideas. I have waited a while before seeking forum help as my mechanic has the car and I have just hoped he would come up with something.
I have an 04 multispace 2lt HDI at about 90k.
The car has been a slow starter on first start for sometime taking maybe 10 t 15 cranks (although sometimes would start on second crank if she felt like it that morning)
Well 2 weeks ago the car broke down (In our street so could have been worse} Car would start but cut out when reved.
AA tow to the garage.
Fuel getting through. Diagnostic came up with crank sensor fault. New sensor helped with the reving problems but starting was worse. The car would start and cut out, but with some nursing would rev ok. Checked and replaced 2 burnt out glow plugs. The meter said glow plugs were cutting in whilst cranking and not going off for some minutes (even at normal spring LoL temperatures) New battery added to the mix for good measure. Mechanic now looking for air leaks in fuel lines but has not found any.
The only other thing that may be some consequence was that about 35 miles before the breakdown I did drive through a deep puddle which dislodged passenger side plastic wheel arch (cowling) guard. As the starting problems go way back and the BSI earth thats under that arch has been checked I doubt my aquatic pursuits have been a major contributor.
So we now have a car that starts ok if it wants but wont keep going unless it feels so inclined.
What functions does the BSI control?
Could we be missing something simple?
AND WORST OF ALL DO I NEED TO THROW MYSELF AT THE MERCY OF A CITROEN MAIN DEALER????
Any help or comments would be gratefully received.
The wife and kids love the car and are missing it terribly. I am getting frustrated and more than a little worried about mechanics bill.
Sorry for long post....Cheers tommyx
Hi, check the basics - air filter, fuel filter, engine earth connections.
Check the connections around the injector pump.
Look for air bubbles in the clear fuel lines.
If you can get it to fault when it's stood, try useing the primer bulb to pressure the fuel and see if that makes a difference.
Does it cut out at tick over or at higher revs.
Do you get a lot of smoke emmission when it happens?
If all ok I'd be looking for someone with Lexia to read your engine ecu.

Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(12-05-2012, 03:14 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  Hi, check the basics - air filter, fuel filter, engine earth connections.
Check the connections around the injector pump.
Look for air bubbles in the clear fuel lines.
If you can get it to fault when it's stood, try useing the primer bulb to pressure the fuel and see if that makes a difference.
Does it cut out at tick over or at higher revs.
Do you get a lot of smoke emmission when it happens?
If all ok I'd be looking for someone with Lexia to read your engine ecu.

Let us know what you find.:thumbsup:

Thanks thats alot to get my teeth into. I was beginning to think nobody would be brave enough to reply to this vexing post. Not lots of smoke but some puffs of whitish smoke just before she goes. At time of breakdown it was cutting out at higher Revs, now it is cutting out at tick over which I find strange.
I will be sure to report on my progress.
cheers tommy
White smoke is unburnt fuel. Try the primer bulb when it starts coughing and see if it helps.
Have you checked your egr valve or the plastic piping from the turbo to the intake mani??
(12-05-2012, 06:31 PM)Rustscrat Wrote:  White smoke is unburnt fuel. Try the primer bulb when it starts coughing and see if it helps.
Have you checked your egr valve or the plastic piping from the turbo to the intake mani??

will add it to the list. how will i know if erg is clogged up ?
If you remove it and then apply vacuum to it you should be able to see it operating.Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • tommylurvebus