Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.22 Average
TWANG
Hi, My 04 Berlingo is just coming up to 70k miles and although it drives well and gives no problems I do have a "TWANG" that appears to come from the nearside back. It sounds like a spring, yes twanging. It often occurs when I first start off and occasionaly when driving over traffic calming humps in the road. I first thought it was a brake spring sticking and releasing but as it also happens when driving I'm not sure now. Any ideas?
Al
Have a look here :-

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/showthrea...ompensator

Common complaint
Hi, the twang will be the compensator spring on its bracket. Remove the offside rear wheel and you'll see the spring hooked round a bracket attached to the swinging arm. Give it a good dose of grease, preferably something that won't wash off and the noise should go. While your there check that the lever which the other end goes to moves freely as these have a tendancy to seize up. I'll post a picture of it later as I've got my axle off at the moment.:thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
mine just fail mot due to the lever being siezed up, bit of a pig to get at, and if you do happen to take it off, make sure you mark all the tension and adjustment points such as on the spring and the lever itself, you will see what i mean when you get to it.
Brake Compensator Picture.
The red arrow is where it seizes up. Spray with a releasing agent on the top & bottom points then keep operating back & forth until it starts to go back by it's self, then grease the pivots up.
The green arrow is where the "twang" noise comes from. Check that the spring loop is not worn out and grease heavily. Confusedalut:

[Image: 2lc4e8w.png]
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Rustscrat for this post:
  • andy-womble, Ol'Jeffers, tucker
Thanks for posting the photo, mine failed MOT last year on this but to be fair it was just out of Citroen Select Warranty and was freed off and lubed F.O.C. by the guys at Citroen Manchester (South).

In the run-up to this year's MOT, I am proposing to do some preventive maintenance including rear brake strip, clean and adjust plus lube the load sensing valve. Now I know exactly where to aim for.......
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • Rustscrat
Mine also failed last year, but garage spent 15 mins freeing off and greasing. But still has the Twang noise though. Good to know what and where its coming from now though.

Good picture too, thanks
Rustcrat, I wish you worked for Haynes Confusedalut:
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mrbritse for this post:
  • Rustscrat
(17-06-2012, 12:20 PM)mrbritse Wrote:  Rustcrat, I wish you worked for Haynes Confusedalut:

Ha!, Thanks but I like colour picy's. :lol:
(17-06-2012, 12:20 PM)mrbritse Wrote:  Rustcrat, I wish you worked for Haynes Confusedalut:

Don't for goodness sake wish that upon the poor obliging chap.... the quality of the write up and the colour pics are worlds apart from the shite written by Mr Haynes & Co.....
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to andy-womble for this post:
  • Rustscrat