Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Hi from Rotherham
Hello

I am from Rotherham and am looking to buy my first Berlingo. Give me a clue what should I be looking for in a car up to about 4K.

Cheers

JohnConfusedalut:
Welcome to the madness!:wave: If you get a Berlingo you'll find the info on this forum invaluable! Confusedtudy:
What to look for is largely a matter of taste. Diesel or petrol?
The most economical to run are the turbo-diesels, the 2.0l HDi is a very popular choice but it'll take a while to find a good one.
A newer diesel choice would be a 1.6l HDi but although these are plentiful it's essential that they have a full service record.
After early 2006 they were fitted with a FAP (DPF) to make Brussels happy.
The later 1.6l is a trouble free petrol unit.
Then you have to decide on your trim level a Forte or a Desire.
I would try to find one with air conditioning. The Desire has glass panels in the roof which gives a very 'airy' interior plus it has the 'Modutop' which is internal roof level storage much like an overhead locker on a plane.
I have a 1.6l HDi Desire which I like very much. I like the high driving position and find it comfortable. I often get over 60mpg on a long run.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(13-08-2012, 01:51 PM)silverfox Wrote:  Hello

I am from Rotherham and am looking to buy my first Berlingo. Give me a clue what should I be looking for in a car up to about 4K.

Cheers

JohnConfusedalut:

Hi Silverfox,I agree with Ol Jeffers.Just wanted to add my welcome.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Hi silverfox,

Welcome to the forum its nice to have someone local to me on the forum :-) , I live in the Clifton Area , where abouts are you.
I have a 2004 2.0 Hdi Forte Multispace and its great, i Paid £3495 for mine from Evans Halshaw 18 Months ago.
I would recommend the 2.0 Hdi engine and the modutop is nice but i have heard of them leaking dont know whether this is a problem with them all maybe someone could shed more light on that for you.
no leaks on my modutop.04 desire,recommend 2.0hdi.had it from new.cant complain at all.
Hi Sliverfox and welcome,

Check all the electrics work. Seemingly minor issues, such as erratic gauges, heater fan not working etc can end up being very costly to fix.

The Modutop is great, but check carefully for broken or repaired hinges. The two overhead hinges are fragile, and very expensive to replace. Repairs are at best temporary, and generally ineffective. Leaking roofs seem to be more of a scare story than a common occurrence, but a potential nightmare if it does indeed exist. A slightly more common leak is the heater matrix, which usually results in a damp footwell.

I am biased, but petrols are generally cheaper to buy, and as an example, on a gentle run from Kent to W. Yorkshire and back recently, I averaged 49.8 mpg door-to-door in my 1.6 petrol. My station commute (15 miles return) averages 40 mpg while around town it is around 30.
The maintenance costs for a petrol are probably less than a diesel as well.

I would echo the view that air con really is a bonus.

Another thing to look for, would be a recent cam belt change, which probably should have been done by now or will be imminent.

Minor things to check around the car;

-The state of the spare wheel. It lives exposed, under the car and the carrier can seize.
-Folding seats should release and re-engage properly. The release cable can snap
-The rear interior door catches can get very stiff.
-You should get two keys. One with remote opening and another, basic key which requires manually unlocking the door.

Good luck with your search, and feel free to post any potential candidates for an opinion.
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

As above -but keep that 4k upper limit flexible if you can.
Ideally you'll be looking for a very late reg Mk2 with full service history.
Thank you all so far for your help. I must say I am totally confused with the 1600 v 2000 debate. I am looking to buy a diesel. I am based in the Wath area but work all over Rotherham.
John
(15-08-2012, 12:10 PM)silverfox Wrote:  Thank you all so far for your help. I must say I am totally confused with the 1600 v 2000 debate. I am looking to buy a diesel. I am based in the Wath area but work all over Rotherham.
John

Whats the cause of your confusion?
Don't buy from Evans Halshaw mansfield, if you have any problems they will do their absolute level best to avoid doing anything to help. It was only the threat of action by trading standards that got the issues with my van sorted.

Chris