Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rear Brakes Whirring
I had to get the rear brake cylinders and shoes changed whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago at a National Tyres place. Since then if I apply medium to heavy braking I hear a whirring noise coming from the left hand brake. Before I go to my local National and kick up a fuss is this normal? It is worse two weeks down the line than when the brakes were done.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
If it were normal then surely both would do it -a stern faced visit to the franchise is in order, Malc.
If the noise wasn't there before then it shouldn't be there now.The normal noises from rear brakes are squealing or groaning,caused by glazed shoes/drums or brake fluid contamination.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I had a whirring/scratching noise on a previous car when I put new shoes into a set of pretty well worn drums- could be the culprit? - Mine was on both sides though so maybe not?

Chris
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Chris86 for this post:
  • northants_guy
It could be coincidence - holidays are good places to get sand/grit into your drums - but best to be safe (especially when it's brakes) and get it looked at - take your receipt and expect them to do it for free.
Married to BandanaLady.co.uk
Hi, make sure the wheel nuts are tight.:thumbsup:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
I took it into National Tyres today. The numpties in Liverpool had fitted the brake adjusters upside down. One side of the adjuster is rounded, the other is flat. If you put the rounded side towards the centre of the wheel it rubs on the ABS notches. As it adjusts it gets a tad closer to the centre making the sound louder. Fortunately it had only put a bit of a shine on the teeth but had it gone on longer it could have worn them away.
Malc

Stupid computer!
Security system should not fail safe!
Security system should fail dangerous!
Make sure you take it up with there head office and demand some compensation for your time & fuel. :censored:

Cowboys! :brickwall:
2006 2.0hdi 600 with bench seat.  Cool
(25-08-2012, 11:23 AM)crickleymal Wrote:  I took it into National Tyres today. The numpties in Liverpool had fitted the brake adjusters upside down. One side of the adjuster is rounded, the other is flat. If you put the rounded side towards the centre of the wheel it rubs on the ABS notches. As it adjusts it gets a tad closer to the centre making the sound louder. Fortunately it had only put a bit of a shine on the teeth but had it gone on longer it could have worn them away.

That is the reason I never use these national chains,completely unreliable & potentially dangerous.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy