Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Mk3 - first impressions
Well we've had our new Berlingo since Saturday, replacing our aged 2001 Mk1.

We've ended up with basically a 'new' version of the old car - petrol engine, gold, sunroof, a/c.

However there the comparisons diverge.

The old car became increasingly baggy in recent years with various bits stopping working / falling off / bit rattly / etc.

The new one is much much more refined. More solid, better riding (suspension is still quiet), bit more oomph, better controls, more 'toys'.

It is a bit bigger, which is causing some issues in our narrow street; we need to learn the extremities - parking sensors front and rear would be useful.

The mpg isn't great, average so far of c.35mpg. Better on the run back from Burton on Trent on the motorway, but a bit dire around here. Still, we don't do a huge mileage so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. The high VED for these early petrol engines is a bit sad - is there a way of having them retuned and pay less? I suspect not...

There are a couple of small issues - the main one being the clutch only engages towards the top of the pedal travel, which to me suggests the clutch is wearing / worn. But people have advised me the clutch is self-adjusting and that that must be how they are - how's your's?

The car has only done 13,500 miles in 4 years, but seems to have had a replacement windscreen, but I guess that can happen at any age.

Otherwise we're very happy with it Big Grin

I'll post images when I can remember to have the camera / lead / computer all in the same place at the same time... :whistle:
Welcome, and enjoy the new car.
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
Interesting to read, since a few years ago we had a Mk3 as a hire car when we had our Mk 1.

(17-10-2012, 08:42 AM)jamesf Wrote:  The old car became increasingly baggy in recent years with various bits stopping working / falling off / bit rattly / etc.

Sounds like our Mk 1. Build quality on our Mk 2 is much better.

Quote:It is a bit bigger, which is causing some issues in our narrow street; we need to learn the extremities - parking sensors front and rear would be useful.

Which is one of the reasons why we got a Mk 2 instead of Mk 3 when we replaced our Mk 1.

Quote:The car has only done 13,500 miles in 4 years, but seems to have had a replacement windscreen, but I guess that can happen at any age.

It certainly can!
Second thoughts....

The car is significantly larger than the previous model, which means it can only be a matter of time before the edges collide with local walls / undergrowth / passing traffic!

However this increase in external space occupied doesn't seem to have really been properly utilised inside... The door bins in particular are rubbish, can hardly fit anything in them! I do like the handbrake being near the drivers seat thus releasing useable space between the front seats. The overhead space isn't as useful as we'd hoped - the rear box is fine but the front / central spaces are a bit hopeless so far. We had also thought there would / should an aux power point in the back , but not found one yet. A trick missed we think these days...

We have yet to work out how to conveniently close the rear doors from the inside. Must drive taxi-drivers mad? Hints welcome!

But, overall, we love the car. So much better than what we had before - but it had covered some mileage - and we do like the looks etc.

Certainly gets some looks while driving about Big Grin
Its a case of lack of research -they didnt ask what was right and wrong with the MK2 -they just seemed to start afresh.
(21-11-2012, 11:47 AM)jamesf Wrote:  The door bins in particular are rubbish, can hardly fit anything in them!
That's another reason we went for a Mk 2 instead of Mk 3!