Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.91 Average
Berlingo won't crank/turn over
Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me a few pointers - getting frustrated!

My wife has a 2000 1.9D multispace, and yesterday evening it wouldn't start (was fine all day) when she went to go and see some patients (she's a community nurse)

I went and bump started it and she took my car for her visits. Car absolutely fine on way home, and once home started first time every time.

This morning it wouldn't start again so she's taken my car - so I thought I'd do some problem-solving!

Can hear loads of relays clicking etc, all dash lights normal - but it won't crank/turn over.

Have pulled starter motor off the car and it wouldn't turn/engage on the bench - then it did, repeatedly (solenoid worked and motor turned) - so unsure if a new starter is needed or not?

Multimeter showing voltage to starter motor when on the car.

Anything else to check?

Cheers,

A
Duff solenoid or starter motor brushes?
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Yeah, I think the starter is past it, given that it was intermittent on the bench test, so gonna get another tomorrow - just wanted to see if there are any other relays/solenoids that could give a similar situation that I can check out too.

A
Hi Andy,

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, turn key and no starter activity. I found if I got a steel rod and hit the starter it would work again for a while. When I got the starter off and removed the back off it the brushes were worn out, just making contact now and then. Fitted new started as could not obtain replacement brushes. Hope this help. Dave.
Smile it's already happened! Big Grin
Thanks for the reply.

Just been and bench tested it again in the garage and it worked, just attached to car (but not so its on the flywheel) and it span up and solenoid engaged, turned key off - tried again and nothing so definitely think it's the starter is borked and intermittent!

Will report back tomorrow when new starter fitted........

A
(02-12-2012, 05:58 PM)andysmiff1 Wrote:  Thanks for the reply.

Just been and bench tested it again in the garage and it worked, just attached to car (but not so its on the flywheel) and it span up and solenoid engaged, turned key off - tried again and nothing so definitely think it's the starter is borked and intermittent!

Will report back tomorrow when new starter fitted........

A

Make absolutely sure the battery & connections are sound before buying a starter.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(02-12-2012, 09:29 PM)ron Wrote:  Make absolutely sure the battery & connections are sound before buying a starter.

Thanks,

Yup - battery is fine. was testing starter off the car with it too, so no trouble there.

Also checked voltage at solenoid and positive starter terminal and got good voltage there, so all pointing towards starter.

Starter intermittent when completely disconnected from car too........

Thanks again!

A
It isn't unknown to have a partially sticking brush and or a flat on a commutator segment cause a similar symptom and as the starter is on the bench so to speak you will only spend a short time stripping out the rotor. It could be time well spent.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Double check what the ron said -I once had a perfectly good strong battery with an intermittent breakdown that only showed every other duty cycle
Every other component became a potential culprit and it took a lot of swapping out to identify it.
It is on my to do list.
But not right at the top

2012 Hdi75 van
Marked as solved!

New starter motor on and it lives!

Absolutely fine with old battery, but bunged a new one on as well seeing as I was at the motor factors!

A