Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
Fuel tank and fuel pick up
I am convinced that the tank fuel pick up system has something to do with the problem im having with fuel starvation when the tank level is low. Nothing else makes sense. Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams showing this part of the system in an 04, 1.9D Berlingo with the Lucas pump. I use the van daily so taking everything out to have a look is not a great option. I need to have an idea and parts to hand while doing the repair or replacement.

Cheers Cool
Could it be the valve that lets air into the tank to balance the fuel being drawn out?. I'm not sure but its either in the fuel cap or in the tank filler pipe.
I do not think so, no vacuum is apparent in the tank at any time which would be caused by this. I have seen a lot of similar threads with this issue but am yet to find a solution. Has anyone got one or tried the tank pick up system? Its getting really annoying having to keep the tank filled to keep it running well.
I'd advise if your removing the tank to blow all the fuel pipes out and replace the filter, clean the tank and fresh fuel. If not its a big of a waste of time. But that will rule out a good part of the system
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GEORGEMXR for this post:
  • Frew
(08-04-2013, 09:22 PM)GEORGEMXR Wrote:  I'd advise if your removing the tank to blow all the fuel pipes out and replace the filter, clean the tank and fresh fuel. If not its a big of a waste of time. But that will rule out a good part of the system

Yea, i would be doing all that as a matter of course.
I'v had a problem at work with the sender unit in the tank being cracked about 3" up from the bottom so when the fuel drops below that certain point in stead of sucking fuel up it sucks the air in the tank and obviously then starves it. Just a thought
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GEORGEMXR for this post:
  • Frew
(08-04-2013, 09:29 PM)GEORGEMXR Wrote:  I'v had a problem at work with the sender unit in the tank being cracked about 3" up from the bottom so when the fuel drops below that certain point in stead of sucking fuel up it sucks the air in the tank and obviously then starves it. Just a thought

That would make perfect sense! I think i will give Citroen a call to price a new sender unit. Cool
Sad 
Any update on this ? Was the sender unit the culprit ?

I have exactly the same problem except that it's gotten to the point that no amount on filling will solve it. Since both the feed and return pipes are all one piece from the engine back to the fuel tank I was assuming that there was a problem with sealing at the tank end. To prove it I put 2 temporary pipes from the feed and return at the engine to a drum of diesel and saw that there was now no air in the system and everything ran fine.... So I'm now faced with removing the fuel tank (which doesn't look like a trivial task... especially since the bolts all appear to be super rusted Undecided ).

So before I do that I'd like to know that it's the correct solution ?

Thanks