Thread Rating:
  • 20 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
DPF modification
Anyone heard of, or had, the Diesel Particulate Filter and cat removed?
Good friend of mine who is a diesel mechanic has removed the DPF and cat on his Peugoet 1.6 HDi after the turbo broke (£700!).
He claims the 2 items put strain on the turbo by not allowing the exhaust gases to flow freely. The filter just collects soot, before burning it off and as the MOT for a diesel does not test emmisions, just particle size, then the cat is not necessary.
Says he has done thousands of miles with this modification and the car has more power and more mpg as the engine is not working as hard (until you want it to).
Forgot to take pictures, but he has made a lovely job of the mod.
Comments, please...
is this DPF the same thing as the FAP? I think so...

Sorry cannot help your further.
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Believe so.
FAP is just French. (As it would be, mon meilleur ami.)
Filtre a particules. (With an accent over the "a", which my keyboard doesn't do....):eek:
Ah oui!!!

Farticulate Pilter it is then mate !!!!
Berlingo Multispace 2.0HDI '54 reg Mediterranean Blue
From reading on other forums (or is that fora.....???) it seems that some get problems with this while others, obviously, don't. I have read that this can be "mapped" out by remapping, but then you are faced with, does it have the Siemens system, in which case you are out of luck. Also of course do you want someone remapping it?

Overall, yes they are a bad idea and unnecessary, adding a restriction to the exhaust. As you say the MOT is only a smoke test.
Mine's got the 2.0HDI and blessed with the Siemens injection system.
Think it was born before all this particulate filter jazz was introduced so lucky in that respect.
I stand to be corrected but is this only applicable to Mk3 Berlingos or was the extra stuff fitted with the introduction of the 1.6HDI?

Re the comment by Coco, don't really want my engine remapping, goes well enough as it is (touching wood as he types). In the event, I would be very careful who I trusted to carry out this sort of work anyway as a wrecked unit would be expensive. Looking to the future, I believe that VOSA and the DVLA are going to make more use of diagnostic software to analyse exactly what tuning has been done to engines and it may well become illegal to tamper with settings and emission controlling devices...
(22-05-2011, 10:59 AM)andy-womble Wrote:  Mine's got the 2.0HDI and blessed with the Siemens injection system.
Think it was born before all this particulate filter jazz was introduced so lucky in that respect.
I stand to be corrected but is this only applicable to Mk3 Berlingos or was the extra stuff fitted with the introduction of the 1.6HDI?

Re the comment by Coco, don't really want my engine remapping, goes well enough as it is (touching wood as he types). In the event, I would be very careful who I trusted to carry out this sort of work anyway as a wrecked unit would be expensive. Looking to the future, I believe that VOSA and the DVLA are going to make more use of diagnostic software to analyse exactly what tuning has been done to engines and it may well become illegal to tamper with settings and emission controlling devices...

That's my transit Jiggered. The EGR valve is now blocked off after the pipe split on it twice in a few weeks. drives fine, no probs on MOT emissions and that, imo is all they should concern themselves with. If it passes their alloted standard for the class of vehicle, then let it lie.
(22-05-2011, 12:56 PM)Phil_G Wrote:  no probs on MOT emissions and that, imo is all they should concern themselves with. If it passes their alloted standard for the class of vehicle, then let it lie.
Trouble is it is governed by legislation from Europe and they are forever moving the goalposts and altering the playing field.
No-win situation, I'm afraid...