Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Another little conundrum from downunder
Hi all,

Well the story goes thus, after changing a few sensors to remedy my fast idle I decided to get my tires changed, whilst at the garage it was pointed out that my brake rotors are wearing thin and need changing. So off I trudged to buy new rotors and today decided to set about changing them... or not as the case turned out.

After undoing the overly tight wheel bolts (garage tightened) & removing the brake pads I went to remove the two bolts securing the calliper so as to remove the discs and fell flat on my face.

This is where I need help, It turns out the bolts securing the calliper are of the star shape kind and low and behold you guessed it I do not have a tool to remove them.

So here lies the conundrum. What I need to know is this, if I purchase a T 30 wrench will it do the job or are the bolts removed with another type of wrench they have round edges and cannot be removed with a normal spanner or grip wrench as I have tried.

Help needed and much appreciated.

Cheers

Pitpan.
I feel your pain brother, I had the same problem, the bolts were seized, went through a couple of t30 wrenches before I had to grind off the heads of the bolts. The problem doesn't end there, you still can't get the calipers off. I had to grind a good portion of the old disc off with my 9" grinder, turned the hub so the cut out of the disc was lined up with the caliper then pulled off the disc, then the caliper slid off the bolts. The studs of the caliper bolts came out pretty easy. Get plenty of wd40 or similar release agent on for an hour or two before you start.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.
After visiting a Citroen mechanic the kind lad lent me a breaking bar and the correct T 55 socket to undo my calliper bracket so that I can change my rotors, should have a good weekend playing with car.... hopefully

The mechanic also informed me to heat the offending bolts, this makes the threadtight melt and then you can crack the bolts loose.
I have an impact driver for such locations, it's a Koken "Attack Driver". Worth every bit of the $110 I paid.
Thanks Addo, the breaking bar and T 55 male socket did the job perfectly, took me little under an hour to change both rotors and put everything back on using thread lock on all bolts to be on the safe side.
Not forgetting you can always drill out the screws if all else fails. The discs can go back on without them as they are only retainers and the wheel bolts hold it all together.
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
Hi Geoff, he means the caliper carrier bolts.
Need better glasses XXX#####%%6$3*
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart