Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Hi there, should I or not????
Hi everyone

I am considering purchasing a Berlingo XTR, it's a Jan 2013 model and I'm really impressed with the build quality and finish. The thing that worries me is all the hype I've read about the 1.6 diesel engine turbo failures.

My mate had an earlier 2ltr model and did an awful lot of trouble free miles in it which is what led me down this path in the first place.

Are the newer1.6 engines/turbo's any better than the earlier one's or is it something I needn't worry about?

Cheers and thanks

Ian
The price of "peace of mind" is eternal vigilance. Wink If you have a garage that will listen to your concerns, and perform additional checks you may request (such as injector mount screw tightness) then there's not too much cause for worry.

That said, read the long thread about suspension noises!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to addo for this post:
  • ron
The 1.6hdi is a superb engine just make sure its got good service history and the correct oil has been used. The engine is used in loads of makes of cars and there has been issues with turbo failure but this is usually down to poor maintance or wrong spec oil being used. Find yourself a good one from a decent dealer or known history private and you wont go wrong.
Are we there yet????? Huh
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post:
  • ron
Hello Mewalshy welcome to the forum you only read about the one's that have had problems there are many others with no issues
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Thanks for the prompt replies. Having just read about all the suspension issues I think I'll give the Berlingo a miss, I can't cope with rattly motors.

Cheers
Ian
I have a 1.6 HDI mk2 Berlingo. Done 80K with no problems. Done all my own servicing (apart from the 1st one). I have to confess I even used the wrong oil on one occasion and didn't realise my mistake until after I had done 12,500 miles. I think the engines are pretty good and am getting around 60 MPG. I would definitely buy an other one!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Slackbladder for this post:
  • mewalshy
Before you dismiss the Berlingo,read other van forums(forae?) to get a good idea.:thumbsup:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
To my knowledge the incidence of noisy or defective suspension has affected tiny fraction
of the members here with Mk.3 Berlingos. If it was a prevalent issue there would have
been a recall issued. Drive your intended Berlingo and if it suffers from noisy suspension
then don't buy it.
To be perfectly honest other models of vehicles including Ford, VW, Renault all have various
known problems which are no worse than those of the Berlingo.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
we have two transit connect and a Berlingo, but have had a caddy and a doblo too, the Berlingo IS BY FAR the best van we have had to date...

charlie
63 plate Berlingo working hard.....
The turbo on mine is the only thing that hasn't gone,mind you she's only done 180000 miles...lol. I've driven every van out there and there's not much to beat the 1.6 hdi.