Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
stalls then not starting
hi
wondered if anyone can help
i have just bought a 1.4 petrol 2007 berlingo van with 70k on clock a few days ago,drove it 80 miles home and ran like a dream,next day went out to start the van and started fine then drove about 20 miles then at some traffic lights it stalled so tried to restart and wouldnt start (turns over fine)so called the aa but by the time he arrived it started,while i was sitting in the van with the ignition on waiting for the aa i heard the fuel pump buzz then i tried to start and it did but while it was ticking over for about 10 minutes it stalled again and wouldnt start but after few minutes i heard the buzz of the fuel pump then it started again,aa man towed me home and said could be a ecu fault or faulty fuel pump any ideas anyone,anyone had any similar experiences,i thought it could be a fuel pump relay but been reading a bit and they seem to be run by the ecu ??
thanks

update
just put a new crankshaft sensor in and made no difference
It sounds like a relay problem.can you get the codes read?If you are up to it,check the relay feed & relay operation.Good luck.Confusedalut:
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(28-02-2014, 10:01 PM)ron Wrote:  It sounds like a relay problem.can you get the codes read?If you are up to it,check the relay feed & relay operation.Good luck.Confusedalut:

hi ron
its not throwing any codes out and you say relays ,is there a fuel pump relay i been readingConfusedtudy: and everywhere says the ecu controls the fuel pump and the manual says nothing about fuel relays either :brickwall:
Check the "engine relay unit" when scanning. Also check all fuses. Fuel pump is switched by PSF1. Check the coil pack too.
(01-03-2014, 01:44 AM)addo Wrote:  Check the "engine relay unit" when scanning. Also check all fuses. Fuel pump is switched by PSF1. Check the coil pack too.

hi addo

checked all fuses in engine bay and the ones under the bsm
and all are good in the bsi
also the central display is showing eco-mode ,so charged battery full and it will not start at all now

plugged in the obd2 reader and all i get is link error,was fine before but wont read now :brickwall::brickwall:

fuel pump is working when i add a live to the fuse and cant really check the coil pack (gone are the days of pulling a ht lead off and shoving a old plug in to check spark)

engine relay unit ?? whats that ,or wheres that Sad
Your scanner is letting you down; it can't talk to the ECUs adequately here.

The engine relay unit is the BSM, some faults will appear logged if its faulty but others won't. With Lexia or Diagbox you can wake it up from economy mode.

Generally when you can't talk to the engine ECU it's not getting power. This can be an internal fault or damaged wiring (assuming you checked all the fuses underbonnet).
update

had someone look at it today with his snap on scanner and he cant get any info from ecu ,its not comunicating with the bsi he tells me,checked all fuses and they are fine,checked a lot of wiring and all seems fine there,anyone have a diagram for the ecu so i can check theres power between ecu and bsi ,there seems to be a lack of power to the ecu mechanic said so will be looking there first, the ecu is a valeo if that helps
Sure you can check the coil pack...

you just need 4 inline spark testers at once...

Frankly, this sounds like a bad connection somewhere.

Does the Mk. II have a non-standard OBD II connector layout so that its only Lexia3 that can read it off?
Check the ECU case is grounded.
(04-03-2014, 09:57 PM)addo Wrote:  Check the ECU case is grounded.

ecu is earthed and checked all the other earthing points and they are all good
does anyone know if fuse 15 in the psf1 is meant to become live when ignition is switched because its not reading any voltage at all

just invested in a lexia 3 kit so hopefully will get to the bottom of it

the wifey has a peugeot so will come in handy and didnt want to give the main dealers any of my hard earned,well im trying not to