Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Ground clearance/wheel size
Hi all!

My job takes me to some more remote areas of the country and unfortunately 14" wheels on my 2007 Multi-space are not giving me enough ground clearance. I don't want to buy 4x4 or change my car so the question is - can i buy 15" (or maybe 16?) wheels on which I could use some off road tyres? Where can I get them and what should I look for? I'd be grateful for your help Smile
Well some models of the Mk11 came with 15 inch wheels (the 2lt HDI and the 1.6 petrol) so you can buy them which will fit perfect with the correct offset etc...

In terms of what you then fit to them, you need to be mindful of them fitting under the wheel arches. My winter tyres are 195/65/15 instead of the standard 185/65/15 they were manufactured with. With full lock, the fronts catch the liner.
(11-03-2014, 01:04 PM)tucker Wrote:  Well some models of the Mk11 came with 15 inch wheels (the 2lt HDI and the 1.6 petrol) so you can buy them which will fit perfect with the correct offset etc...

In terms of what you then fit to them, you need to be mindful of them fitting under the wheel arches. My winter tyres are 195/65/15 instead of the standard 185/65/15 they were manufactured with. With full lock, the fronts catch the liner.

Thanks for your reply tucker. I guess 185/65/15 would be fine as you can get some off road tyres in that size. How do I find the correct 15" wheels then?

Are these OK:
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-whe...ck/15-inch
?
Is it the right offset etc?
Those are also recommended but they have completely different offset:
http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-whe...er/15-inch
I'm getting confused Big Grin
You will find that the 15" wheels and tyres are almost the the same overall diameter
as the 14" ones. If you were to succeed in fitting a wheel that had a significantly larger diameter
your speedometer would be adversely affected. I would be looking to raise the suspension if that was possible.
Realistically speaking, the extra clearance gained by changing wheels will in any case be minimal.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Yes, I was thinking about raising the suspension but I wasn't able to find any kit for the Berlingo. Another option I suppose would be to remove the front grille, but that's a bit extreme ;-) 15" wheels have the added bonus of having at least some off road type tyres. In 14" there are practically none on the market.
I bought 15 inch rims from a 2lt HDI Berling from a scrap yard so they were like for like.

Citroen sell them new for about £40 per wheel.
(11-03-2014, 04:19 PM)tucker Wrote:  .

Citroen sell them new for about £40 per wheel.

Have you got any link maybe? Cheapest I found were about 80 quid each...
No, I bought one from a local main dealers as I was one short for my winter tyres and paid £40 to £45 max for one inc vat. I think it was from BCC in Bolton.

I just walked in and they had one in stock.
Belenus, I have the same problem with my van, I was wondering about heavier duty springs but not something I have any experience with and then how would you raise the rear to the same height?
I found this:
http://www.4x4styling.com/Suspension-Lif...-of-10-set

But it's only sold in sets of ten kits (each set has 4 springs to raise a single Berlingo) so we would have to find 10 other forum members who would be interested Big Grin Or maybe there is someone in the UK who sells such kits?