Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Exhaust Clamp
Exhaust clamps can be very awkward to remove. Here's my idea that I used to remove mine making it a lot easier.

1. Remove the bolt and nut from the clamp.
2. Replace with a 8mm by 50mm hexagon bolt with two nuts in between the clamp faces.
3. Turn the nuts so that it makes the clamp spread open to allow it to slide off the mating faces of the exhaust.
4. When replacing simply turn the nuts together.
5. Remove bolt and nuts and replace with originals.

[attachment=1667]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to valvejtw for this post:
  • ddb, whitebus
I did the exact same thing a while ago when I put a new back box on. I also put a nut on the end of the bolt which meant I only had to turn one nut. It works well but can splay the bolt holes out of alignment.
Today I've been at it again after repairing the middle pipe with the Cat only I discovered the hard way that the two clamps (back box and cat) are different sizes! Not by much but when I put the silencer one on the cat union I did it right up and it wouldn't completely tighten up. I thought nothing of it until I tried to get the cat union one on the back box. Would it fit? Would it *******!! It's just a bit too small to slip over both flanges.

Just off out to remove it and start again......You have been warned!! ;-)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to pablo64 for this post:
  • whitebus
This is a good idea, excellent ghetto skills right there that I must try as I have OEM exhaust for my MOT and it's a pain doing it every year. One thing I notice with these brackets, it's not really spreading you need but rather side to side motion. Insert a screw driver and pull them apart like this http://s12.postimg.org/5mj5mlcgd/pug_clamp_2.jpg oil up the exhaust so metal slides easy. Connect the exhaust parts together and slide the bracket over (it will only go one side say 6 o'clock) now slide it clockwise/anticlockwise till its finally in. Annoying stuff: It's impossible to keep the exhaust together due to each pipe shape causing to go at an angle all the time, keeping the bracket spread is impossible and requires 2 pair of hands, if you are doing this all the time and occasionally forget these tips and hints you finally realize life is too short to remember bullshit like this and buy one of these instead for easy life
http://s12.postimg.org/mx9kem43x/SDC11712.jpg
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Kokain for this post:
  • ddb, whitebus
Hmmm. Now why didn't they fit those in the first place?