Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Immobilizer won't start the car
Hi,

first of all the title might be misleading because we have no idea what the real problem is. But we tried a lot in the last months and it all comes down to the BSI, Immobilizer and so on.

So for the last 9 months we had a couple of problems with our car.
A Citroen Berlingo (Obviously Smile) octobre 2002 Diesel HDI with the 2l engine.

It all started late fall last year, when sometimes we weren't able to start the car. We helped ourselves with a little bit of brake cleaner and since it didn't happen on a daily basis we didn't really care about it that much. I even drove up to sweden with the car. Without any major problems.

But in the winter it all started.
First we had to use the brake cleaner everytime that we had lower temperatures (round about everything under 0-5°C). After the motor was running for 1-2min we could restart it without bigger problems.
We drove to Opel Dello who is supposed to repair Citroen here aswell. The suspected it to be oxygen in the fuel lines. So they installed a transparent fuel line to see the bubbles. But nothing to see.
They tried to recode(I'm sorry I couldn't find a more suitable word) the transponders but it didn't work also the spare key has the same problems as the major one.
I think they inspected the pressure and admission on the injectors aswell. But again nothing special.
So they gave us the car back with the same problem. Sad

Then we drove to a friend of ours who is a mechanic with his own garage. But he couldn't find anything too. At that place we changed the housing of the fuel filter and two smaller fuel lines because my father and the mechanic thought that that might be broken. Again didn't fix it.

And now it all started to get even worse because usually it was enough when he didn't want to start to use the brake cleaner once. But now my mother drove 20min, turned the engine off for like 2min and had to use brake cleaner again to start it. I think that was in march.
My father tried to disconnect one sensor at a time to see if it was a malfunction of a sensor to see if the engine would go into emergeny mode. But nothing changed.
Up to this day it only happend when on temperatures lower 0-5°C but now it already started at ~15°C.
For the whole june and july we have to use the brake cleaner everytime we want to start the engine and even now with temperatures at around 30°C we have to use it.

About 2 weeks ago we went to our local Bosch garage, which has quite a good recomendation here. My father explained to the mechanic the problem and he said that it might be a seal somewhere that once its warm expands and seals any leaks that might have been there. Which actually sounds like a good explanation.
So the car went to him and we were a little bit scared to hear whats going on and to see the bill.
After just 2 days he called us and said that the diagnostic device only showed him a mistake with the immobilizer which he can't fix and we have to contact Citroen. Good thing it only cost us like 40€.

The error code was 1517 Wegfahrsperre Funktionsstörung (Immobilizer failure).
And thats why we think it has to do something with the immobilizer.

My father was searching the web for any information about any similiar problems. He found some but the solutions were ranging from easy things like fuses up to a change of the BSI. Right now he dismounted quite a lot in the car to see if he can find any circuit board with a cold soldering point or oxidation or what so ever.
The coil of the immobilizer is still working when we don't pull of the key after we stopped the engine it will start the "keyforgottennoise" and also it won't let us start the engine when we remove the transponder from the key.

So the questions for us right now are:
Where is the immobilizer ? Is it on the BSI or is it separate ?
If its a single part, can you easily replace it ?
Is there somebody who expected similiar problems before ?
Any other tipps ? Smile

I'm quite happy that I found a forum here where people actually do more with their cars than just changing tires and leave the rest to the mechanics.
Any help is appreciated and I'll try my best to give the best detailed information about the car and the malfunctions it causes.
Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Immobilizer won't start the car - by Hamburger - 24-07-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: Immobilizer won't start the car - by polar - 24-07-2013, 05:48 PM
RE: Immobilizer won't start the car - by homeruk - 20-06-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: Immobilizer won't start the car - by homeruk - 30-06-2014, 09:44 AM