Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
[Steering & Suspension] Tyre to Coil spring clearance for Snow Chains
Hi Folks

I think my Peugeot Partner Escapade may have the wrong version of front shock absorber as there is virtually no clearance between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the shock absorber spring cup.

All other Partner Escapades that I've checked have double or triple the clearance, probably more like 5 or 6 cm.

This lack of clearance is going to make it impossible to use snow chains this winter, and due to frequent travel to Scotland and the continent, I usually end up supplementing the winter tyres with chains a couple of dozen times a year.

I've ordered the replacement part from Euro car parts but the supplied shock absorber has the same size 'leg' beneath the spring cup as that already on the car, so isn't going to result in any more clearance.

Can anybody confirm if there is a different version of the absorber available for the high ground clearance version of the partner\berlingo.

Thanks for any help!
P.S. I've got normal tyre profile size fitted i.e. 185\65\15, so I don't think the clearance has been lost due to this.
I've tried fitting fit smaller wheels, but this only gives another 10mm or so and I'm not sure if smaller wheels are a good idea from a road handling and insurance point of view.

This bloke also suspects there is more than one version of the shock absorber with different lengths for the higher ground clearance versions of the Partner\Berlingo;

http://www.peugeotcentral.co.uk/ftopic-1...rasc-.html

When I checked the Pug recommended part number(based on chassis number) with CES they said the shock absorber was a premium part that I might as well get straight from Pug, but if CES just check against my registration plate, then they would supply the standard shock absorber that is the same length as they one I have on the car.

Messages In This Thread
Tyre to Coil spring clearance for Snow Chains - by OuterSpaceHopper - 11-12-2013, 07:15 AM