Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2006 1.6hdi steering and coolant pipe questions
Car was serviced and MOT'd a couple of weeks back and there was an advisory note that the 'steering rack inner joint' was showing signs of wear. I thought that the steering rack was connected to the road wheels by track rod ends, so what are these mysterious inner joints?
Also, developed a pretty severe coolant leak (first problem in 3 years of ownership). I couldn't trace it but dealer replaced pipe at rear of engine. This is a sod of a job apparently (well, it was judging by the labour charge - pipe was cheap enough). I couldn't see pipe from engine bay and dodgy back prevents grovelling underneath cars these days. Anyone else have problems like the above please?
I should have asked for more details at the time of service but was still groggy from the sedatives they gave me along with the bill. Smile
'56 Multispace 1.6HDi - Iron Grey
Inside the rubber boots on the steering rack there is an inner track rod joint, the track rod has to swivel at both ends Wink It is most likely this that he means. It's not too big a job if you have a tool to fit them and the wheels will need tracking after.
So where does this bit go then ?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ffrenchie for this post:
  • pidgeonpost
Ah! I see - thanks ffrenchie. I reckon the front tyres are wearing a bit too much on the edges as there's still 4mm in the middle but a noticeable amount less on the outer edges - I'll get the wheels on lock and check the inner edges. I guess worn joint s could be reason for this too. I don't think tyre pressures are the problem as I check them every time I refuel. I'll have to get a price for replacing these joints before putting new rubber on certainly and get tracking set at same time.
If your tyres are wearing evenly on both outside edges more than the middle , than that's a low pressure issue usually.

If your only checking your tyres when you fill up that means your tyres are hot and therefore showing a higher pressure than normal.

You should only check tyre pressure when your tyre is stone cold to get a true reading.

What so you inflate your tyres to?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to homeruk for this post:
  • pidgeonpost
I can't remember the pressure, but it's whatever it says on the door pillar adjusted according to the number of passengers and luggage.
The question of inflating while cold is always going to be a problem for many people as the filling station is where the compressor is :-)
However, I've just bought a 12v compressor so maybe I'll have to retrain myself.