Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.69 Average
juddering after starting/first mile or so of trip
Question 
Hi,
Im a newbie and also new to owning a Berlingo!

Im loving it so farBig Grin but theres just one small issue, it starts fine but for the first mile or so of the journey its a bit juddery. It doesnt lose power but feels sluggish and doesnt make any horrific noises/smoke etc its not a massive issue at the moment but just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what it could be? and will it get worse?:eek:

its a diesel 1.9 600
Thanks in advance Big Grin
Welcome, glad you are pleased :thumbsup: .

Will probably be a bit of trial and error really. Is it harder to start from cold, in cold weather? Is it hard to start at all? Do you have to keep the revs higher to stop it cutting out when its juddering? What sort of mpg are you getting?

The sluggishness could be down to your fuel filter, could be one of your injectors, could be the egr solenoid (if it is in limp mode). Any warning lights?
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

(10-01-2012, 09:02 AM)Andre Wrote:  Welcome, glad you are pleased :thumbsup: .

Will probably be a bit of trial and error really. Is it harder to start from cold, in cold weather? Is it hard to start at all? Do you have to keep the revs higher to stop it cutting out when its juddering? What sort of mpg are you getting?

The sluggishness could be down to your fuel filter, could be one of your injectors, could be the egr solenoid (if it is in limp mode). Any warning lights?

Thanks for the quick reply it doesn't feel like it's going to cut out, seems ok mpg but do need to keep revs higher than normal for that first bit of journey. No warning lights or anything. Any ideas?
Try avoiding the cheapest diesel. Fill up with Shell or BP next time or
add some Millers diesel treatment (which I use all the time) and it does what it says on the tin. I find that it pays for itself. :thumbsup:
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ol'Jeffers for this post:
  • mrbluesky
Sounds like cold start cable incorrectly adjusted?

What mk of berlingo have you got?
Adam..2003..1.9D..LX..Silver Crew Cab Van.....
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
(10-01-2012, 10:39 PM)adam3rdcanvey Wrote:  Sounds like cold start cable incorrectly adjusted?

What mk of berlingo have you got?

From OP's post: its a diesel 1.9 600.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
Right! Thanks for you replies much appreciated. What does it look like and where is the cold start cable and how is it adjusted! Sorry I'm not very mechanically minded! Getting fuel filter done at wkend and going to buy better diesel. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks : )
(11-01-2012, 09:32 AM)Widget Wrote:  Right! Thanks for you replies much appreciated. What does it look like and where is the cold start cable and how is it adjusted! Sorry I'm not very mechanically minded! Getting fuel filter done at wkend and going to buy better diesel. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks : )

HI, Re the cold start cable, with engine at running temp etc, under the bonnet on the lefthand side you will see the injector pump, there is a cable running infront of it and connect to it, this should be slack when hot, if its tight it means the choke is on, there is an ajuster on the right were the cable fits in, if no ajustment left slacken the little nipple at the end of the cable and pull it through abit. hope this is of help. :wave:
Hello Widjet - I was searching to find similar issues to mine and your post here seemed to match perfectly. The Bingo runs well but is a bit stuttery especially at the start of a journey - problem isn't noticeable on motorways and doesn't have issues starting or stalling. No smoke or warning lights.

I have also gone down the theory of the fuel - (once I established glow plugs don't work like spark plugs) The fuel currently in the tank was bought in France some weeks ago where I know the BIO content is high. I had the fuel filter replaced last year so doubt it could be that.

Yesterday I filled her up but put 500ml diesel additive into the tank, hopefully I will see an improvement.

Did you get to the bottom of your issue?

How many people use deisel additives? Millers seems to get some positive feedback.
Hi no I never got to the bottom of it! But have been driving her six months and I don't really notice it anymore. Tried all sorts including fuel relay?, starter motor etc and none made any difference. Sorry I know that doesn't help but if you ever find the cause let me know!!