Thread Rating:
  • 42 Vote(s) - 3.05 Average
The Berlingo camping thread
It seems to be a popular subject, so I thought that we could have a thread with Berlingo-based camping tips, equipment, recommendations for sites and so on.

I had seen a couple of photos for storage units that allow sleeping on top, but not seen any plans to make these or know if these are commercially available?

I have also seen various tailgate canopies both for sale and home-made, and was wondering in this was something that anyone has bought or made up themselves?

How about window shades or curtains if sleeping in the Berlingo?

I have always loved camping, but this Summer will be the first time with the wife and kids along (starting off with a few days in Dorset) so will be a whole new experience for everyone Big GrinHuhConfused
2005 Berlingo Multispace 1.6i Desire (Iron Grey)

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

I'm currently knocking up a bed for mine, it's in the back of the car at the mo, but needs one or two engineering 'tweaks'.
It's based on this; http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/PeugeotPartner.html

I'll stick some pics up when I get round to it.
Hi looked at this and it seems a lot of work each time you want to use it, I am considering a single bed one side of van with a swing up bed to lock above it. This would then allow use of other side of van for storage, BUT it all seems a lot of fuss.
Previously last summer we took a little khyam tent, up in 30 seconds , put our gear in it and just used self inflating mattresses in back of van. Tinted windows all round back so no one can see in and bobs ur uncle.
I have a work store unit [halfords jobby] in back which stores , cooker, plates cups etc all the time, and also doubles up as a seat if taken out. My cooker is a ghillie, boils in any weather or storm, and burns anything inc dung.
and i have a self standing tent unit which goes over back door of van should we need more room, dont really use this though.
And of course a little freedom caravan , at less than half a ton, saves all the agro and bed is wonderful. So all options catered for.But do miss my westfalia vw camper for its spec.
(09-03-2011, 01:51 PM)Uncle Russ Wrote:  I'm currently knocking up a bed for mine, it's in the back of the car at the mo, but needs one or two engineering 'tweaks'.
It's based on this; http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/PeugeotPartner.html

I'll stick some pics up when I get round to it.

yeh make sure you do, will be useful and interesting
Want Help with the Forum? Read Help Documents Here

Hi Guys
what do you think of this conversion?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-...4156fb6be3

Tutchi
Cool
cool , I like that but would have loved to have seen some photo`s of inside, prob the most important bit, think the seller got that wrong, inside of one of these is more important,,,we all know what the outside of one looks like,
There are commercially available removable camping interiors for Berlingo sized cars but they are certainly expensive & not much better than stuff you can make yourself imho. We got our last Berlingo a few yrs ago when I got fed up with fixing our T25 & used it for tent camping in France for a couple of yrs until we got the Eriba. Towed that for 3yrs & then last yr we were back to tent camping in France with current 'lingo. We carried our big frame tent, overnight tent, chairs, cooker etc. with bikes on towbar mounted rack. Back to caravan for this yr.

I don't think I'd want to actually sleep inside one tho. Secondhand factory built conversions of any van are always expensive, several £thou for a vehicle that would only be worth £100s in standard trim. If you want one It would be better to buy a newer car & make your own interior. Basically all you need is a platform for bed, which I think would be more comfortable that the one in't ebay link & store all your gear underneath as in the other link. I wouldn't want a cooker actually fixed inside the vehicle.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Opensauce for this post:
  • johndevolle
I am not thinking about a full-on conversion (I would rather have a caravan given the choice) but looking at temporary fixtures and fittings like this one

[Image: Berlingocamping-1.jpg]

I have found a link from smallmotorhome.co.uk link which shows a self-build along with instructions, cutting lists and so on (for mk1/2)

opensauce, do you still have eriba and are you pleased with it? I have freedom, with full size roof, having had a french pop top caravan it was great for towing but found you could easily hit your head on standing up. The eriba looks so cute though.
Pete
Pete, you might like this fit out for a mk3 from a French website here