Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.54 Average
Attention 1.6 hdi owners - read this
This is an extract from the french car forum site.

Hi there all I am new here and I have 15 years Citroen experiance so I would love to help you all.
All DV6 (1.6hdi) engine turbo failures I have seen have been caused by injector carbon leakage due to the injector bolts being loose, Not sure why they come loose possible heat cycles of the copper washers not sure. Anyway if you have a DV6 engine check your injector securing bolts tomorrow I guarantee you they will be loose. I have done best part of 40 turbos on these engines and to all my customers I recommend a full engine strip down and clean because the carbon (looks like coal) leaks from the combustion chamber up the injector tube and destroys the little seal between the cylinder head and the cam housing, It then goes down into the engine just where the valve springs are which smash it up and mix it with the oil. It then makes a real mess of the oil and blocks the stupid little filter on the turbo feed pipe on the banjo and starves the turbo of oil and "goodbye turbo." Fitting a new turbo will not last long i've seen a car come to me which has had 4 turbos and I'm sorry to say if you have this problem the only real permanent fix is to strip the engine' remove the injectors,cam housing,oil filter housing,sump,oil pickup in the sump,oil feed pipe,oil pump and cleanwithin an inch of their lives, Personally I would do the injectors first as they can be a real pain to remove as the carbon can sieze them in solid (ps the carbon softens to a treacle when very hot so the injector removal is best when the engine it super hot and I mean super hot) we leave them running for at least 4hrs at work. Anything i have missed let me know and I will fill in the blanks. PS you will need to recut the injector seal mounting faces in the head as when they leak combustion the leak cuts grooves in the seating faces and the new injector seals will not seal.

This is a link to the page in question http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/vi...1eea1dd8cb

quite interesting
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to polar for this post:
  • AntBerlingo, j90xxx, Ol'Jeffers, Rogalicious, Rustscrat, taxi
Gulp !!!! Anybody want an airdream ? ( bricking it now ). But thanks for the info.
Surely this must be classed as a manufacturing fault and a recall issued.Confusedtudy:
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
Mine will be on ebay soon... Confusedillyme:
Thanks - that's a great tip. Prevention much better than cure... Will be interesting to know how many are loose once a few on here have checked.
(20-01-2013, 11:44 AM)nicebiscuit Wrote:  Thanks - that's a great tip. Prevention much better than cure... Will be interesting to know how many are loose once a few on here have checked.

Yes plan on checking mine as soon as the snow clears :brickwall:
@Rustscrat.
Given the rather important nature of this revelation could you (or someone else who knows)
give us the correct torque for these injector bolts, please.
The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool
(20-01-2013, 02:33 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  @Rustscrat.
Given the rather important nature of this revelation could you (or someone else who knows)
give us the correct torque for these injector bolts, please.

in the picasso haynes manual it states for the 1.6 hdi

stage 1) 4NM

stage 2) angle tighten a futher 65 degrees
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to polar for this post:
  • Ol'Jeffers
The guy who wrote this piece is an independent Citroen Peugeot repairer
with a formidable reputation for good service.
I have emailed him to see if he would consider joining our happy throng.
Let's hope he drops by!
(20-01-2013, 04:07 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  The guy who wrote this piece is an independent Citroen Peugeot repairer
with a formidable reputation for good service.
I have emailed him to see if he would consider joining our happy throng.
Let's hope he drops by!

Is that the lot in Newcastle under Lyme? Can you recommend them? - been looking for a decent independent and they're local enough for me...
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nicebiscuit for this post:
  • j90xxx
I can't personally recommend them. Take a look at their website.

http://www.richard-dalton.com/

A bit of history:

http://www.richard-dalton.com/classic_citroen.html

The fact that he seems to have found a possible cause for turbo failure on a 1.6HDi
would indicate that he's an engineer rather than someone who throws parts on a vehicle
to 'see if that cures it'.

Having looked through their website I'd use them.