• Follow us on twitter!
  • Welcome to our new look site - we will be enabling features over the course of the next week.
  • Thanks for your support.
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Modutop roof bars stuck
If you have the misfortune to own a Berlingo with a nasty rattling modutop you need to know about the amusing trick the designers have played on you. At some stage, when you come to remove the roof bars, you'll find they are stuck. No amount of unscrewing the torx headed fastening screws has any effect, even if you try to lever up the bars as you unscrew.
The reason for this is that the screws fasten into threaded metal inserts which are moulded into the fibreglass humps of the modutop. As you turn the screw to undo it, the insert turns with it, the weak friction seal between the insert and the surrounding fibreglass having failed.
Remedy: Drill a horizontal nail sized hole through the fibreglass hump directly below the torx screw. Drill at one third of the hump hight above the roof (ie, two thirds of the way down below the top of the hump). Initially you will encounter little resistance as you drill the fibreglass, but then, as you drill the metal insert, the resistance increases. Your object is to drill a hole just below the point reached by the tip of the torx screw when the roof bar is attached.
Now insert a nail or similar metal rod through the hole to restrain the insert from turning. You can now unscrew the torx screw and remove the roof bar. Cut the nail off flush and araldite it or fibreglass it in place. Paint the repair black if you want. Do the same to all four fixing points, as all will eventually and inconveniently fail.

All he above is totally unnecessary if you grease the bolts before they get stuck Icon_whistle

But a good remedy if they do seize Icon_thumright
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

I have never had a problem, but then I use it regularly so the screw don't get chance to rust into position. Mine is 9 years old.

I also spray the torx bolts regularly with a water dispersal to prevent them rusting and sticking prior to refitting.

I take my screws out annually & coat with Waxoyl.
Strawberry flavoured windowsIcon_whistle

Ive put a TY to silverswans post - a good tip if you've inherited the problem from a previous owner who hasn't treated or used the fasteners before you.

ron got one too but he's not talking about roofbars in this instance

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modutop rubber seal bigsacs 5 193 02-10-2014, 09:45 AM
Last Post: bigsacs
  Berlingo roof box taff2 0 278 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Last Post: taff2
  MK2 Modutop blower fan not working - any help appreciated BlueSlug 26 2,439 12-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Last Post: BlueSlug
  Roof seal Reg 0 249 30-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Reg
  Heater fan stuck on full power petet66 15 1,853 18-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Last Post: petet66
  New member 1st problem/question... (Modutop power sockets) NoFurtherAction 6 1,634 02-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Last Post: ignition
  REAR TORSION BARS robbie321 1 629 14-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Rustscrat
  Roof bar and fittings buying help for Berlingo Desire 06 daldroflas 6 2,497 17-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Last Post: daldroflas
  2005 multispace rear centre seatbelt stuck. landcrab 2 898 14-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Last Post: paul ross
  Roof rack over moduletop? Bernard 10 2,790 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Last Post: pidgeonpost