Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Thoughts on oil change 1.6 hdi
Do you think a garage would go to that trouble? Along with letting the sump drain for long enough I shudder to think how much old oil is left in the engine.
Sorry to pick this post up so late, but I'm thinking about getting an oil pump to drain the oil (19 euros). I don't have a drive way and working on cars in the street is frowned upon here in Germany.
I hope buying one will mean I will change the oil more often and prevent all the issues with the 1.6 HDI 90 unit so often described all over this forum.

Can anyone with expreience of this method give me any advice?

Or is the old fashioned drain plug way the best?
Hallo Cober.

Suppose 3rensho can help you.
Knock-knock to PM Smile
Pumping the oil out is not a good thing if you are doing it through the dip stick hole you do not get all the oil out of the sump it's best to do it the good old way through the sump plug other wise your looking for trouble with the turbo at a latter date  Sad
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Sucking oil out from top of engine is not correct procedure for 1.6hdi. Oil needs to be completely drained from engine or sludge could build up and block turbo feed pipe with predictable result. Somewhere on this forum there is Citroen oil drain procedure which involves idling engine until fan comes on. Stop engine, undo sump bolt and remove filter, allow to drain for half hr. Google 1.6hdi oil drain procedure, you will find it.
Look here for more information ( plenty more on the web of course )....................

http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-1149.html
2007 M59 1.6 HDi 

Serieal Berlingo owner  Heart Heart Heart
(05-03-2015, 07:53 AM)Solent Wrote:  Do you think a garage would go to that trouble? Along with letting the sump drain for long enough I shudder to think how much old oil is left in the engine.

about 200ml is left in the sump no matter what you do - take a look at how the plug is countersunk into the bottom of the pan, it has to be one of the most stupid designs of a sump I have ever seen.

I dropped the sump on mine when I first got the van as it had not been serviced for a long time and I was curious as to if there was a sludge problem going on.  thankfully it was clean - but this was how i measured how much oil can not possibly drain out. (a mug full of old oil is always left in their.  So presumably if you used a flush some would always be left in.