Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
oil leak under intercooler pipe 110 bhp
    found some drops of oil under car which is a 2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp turbo , o inspection it looks like oil is coming from above the belt tensioner under the intercooler pipes more of a mist than a drip ,its ending up on the alternater ,but cant be sure of its orgins the intercooler pipe to the engine throttle body has oil residue inside the pipe is this a sign turbo wear ,or is it a common fault , Rob.
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR
(16-04-2014, 03:04 PM)rdfb2 Wrote:  found some drops of oil under car which is a 2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp turbo , o inspection it looks like oil is coming from above the belt tensioner under the intercooler pipes more of a mist than a drip ,its ending up on the alternater ,but cant be sure of its orgins the intercooler pipe to the engine throttle body has oil residue inside the pipe is this a sign turbo wear ,or is it a common fault , Rob.

Not sure if I've got the full picture(lol) or details because of the angle of this picture, but what about power steering pump? I understand and have experienced this fault. If it is the the PSP then get it sorted soonest. Mine went a few months before the warranty ran out. The pump leaks on the first thing below it - the alternator. Alternator blows - Very expensive and not uncommon fault. I didn't notice mine leaking on to the alternator but noticed more of an oil mist around the engine. The dealer identified it as a PSP failure. here wasn't even a noticeable loss of PSP oil. I've now got a shiney new PSP attached to the engine. I've no longer got the leak so it must have been correct. Good luck.

PS. Perhaps you could get someone to move steering fully from one side to the other and back whilst your watching under the bonnet. Try it hot and cold. Experience tells me leaks can be difficult to find at times.
got a feeling its the turbo letting oil through .
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR
It is common for an oily residue inside the intercooler pipe. Comes from the engine fumes. Your oil will be either power steering fluid or engine oil. Once identified you can then narrow it down. You can tell by colour and smell which is which.
To me it looks as if the oil/psp fluid is dripping onto the belt and being thrown around and turning into an oily mist
think the power steering is electric
2010 1.6 hdi 110bhp XTR