Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Citroën Extended Warranty
Hi
My Berlingo is three years old at the end of this month and my mileage is very low so I am considering taking out the Citroen Extended Warranty.
Anyone have any dealings with this in the past good or bad? comments are welcome.

[fon‌t=Calibri] [/font]
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
The problem I have with warranties is that the car needs an up to date full Citroen dealer service history, which is expensive.

However, I guess if the turbo is about to explode, a warranty is a very good thing to have.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
I use Warranty Direct...Prices are reasonable and I am free to use any repairer I choose as long as they are VAT registered.
My premium for their Extra Cover Scheme cost £95.40 and that is well worth the cost.
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
I put what would be my premiums away towards repairs.I do the same with dog ins. I am quids in to date but perhaps I've been lucky.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
A lot of third party warranties are usually pretty useless - there's an excess, so you can't claim for a number of smaller items, and there's usually also an upper limit too. So for example you pay the first £100, they pay the next £900, then you pay the rest. So it doesn't actually take much risk away from you after all.

I'd think it's probably likely that if you do claim a substantial amount then your premiums will go up to "please go away" prices. Basically, they win every time and I'd have thought it pretty unlikely that you'd ever save money with one of these. They do pay for their buildings, salaries and adverts from the money you hand over after all.

I'd say you'd be better off putting the money in a jam jar every month than handing it over to a warranty company. Perhaps the Citroen one might be more comprehensive though, and Citroen servicing prices seem pretty reasonable from what I've seen so far.

It's very possible that the Citroen one is in fact a third-party company's warranty with Citroen branding - if so then any of the above could apply.

All my opinions only of course. Perhaps there are warranty companies that are run by volunteers that pay out more than they take in, just to make the world a nicer place.
The best thing to do save the money and use it if and when it's needed have you ever tried to claim on one of these most of them are not worth the paper there written on
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

I did some research on this and Warranty Direct's T&Cs are fair and  the company enjoys a good reputation.
They're recommended by 'Honest John' and they've funded repairsto my BMW motorbike a couple of times before I had to sell it.
Much preferable to paying £95 / hour labour charges out of the blue. All they insist upon is that the vehicle is serviced as per the manufacturer's
recommendations and it has a current MoT. There are proportional reductions in the percentage of any claim paid according to the mileage of the vehicle
but this doesn't affect vehicles under 120K miles.
[fon‌t=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Older I get the Better I Was!  Cool [/font]
(12-02-2015, 01:31 PM)OlJeffers Wrote:  I use Warranty Direct...Prices are reasonable and I am free to use any repairer I choose as long as they are VAT registered.
My premium for their Extra Cover Scheme cost £95.40 and that is well worth the cost.

Is that £95.40 per year?

Sent from cold, windy place.
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
Silly not to take advantage of the Citroen Extended Warranty, especially if you are the original owner, as it's pretty comprehensive, especially if you've had reliability problems, like I have, and it has a better resale value if you decide to get rid of it. Plus you can pay it monthly.
2011 (61) Multispace XTR 110 in Kyanos Blue
(13-02-2015, 07:31 PM)mikep1973 Wrote:  
(12-02-2015, 01:31 PM)OJ Wrote:  I use Warranty Direct...Prices are reasonable and I am free to use any repairer I choose as long as they are VAT registered.

Is that £95.40 per year?

Sent from  cold, windy place....must be Gillingham!!

Yes Mike. I ditched RAC membership because of some extraordinarily poor service which I received when my Beemer had a problem at Beachy Head Cafe
so I signed up with Green Flag and took on Warranty Direct for the bike and the Berlingo....then I sold the bike. 
They do sell  cheaper schemes and I bought their second to top one which has good levels of cover. http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/policydo...raCare.pdf

Claim numbers are unlimited and each claim is limited only by the value of the vehicle.