Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
bleeding brakes
The garage I use replaced rear brake cylinders over a couple of days brake pedal nearly reaches the floor but still stopped the vehicle but if you slightly touched the pedal released and applied the pedal again all seemed fine thought it would just need bleeding took it back to garage to have brakes bled got a phone call said they could not bleed brakes either master cylinder no good or brake servo no good anyone have any idea
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Dave good for this post
If the seals have gone in the master cylinder then they are allowing fluid past and not producing the required pressure to bleed. Did you notiice any fluid in the footwell?
Griff
Landmark
Ex 1.4 Berlingo Multispace
They probably didn't make sure the load sensing valve on the rear axle was open fully... This gives exactly the problem you describe. Especially if it was working when you took it in and now it's not. .
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
(18-02-2015, 02:06 PM)mikep1973 Wrote:  They probably didn't make sure the load sensing valve on the rear axle was open fully... This gives exactly the problem you describe. Especially if it was working when you took it in and now it's not. .

Question: Do I need to put the vehicle back in the floor for bleeding? so that the sensing valve is not fully open to bleed? I´m having issues bleeding Dodgy Thanks
The valve should be fully opened for bleeding,  everyone has bleeding issues with the bleeding thing.   Big Grin

The idea is that with a full load the valve is fully open , with a small or no load then the valve is partially/nearly closed.  If the spring which operates it is missing then hold it open with a wedge or something.
(17-02-2015, 09:42 PM)Dave good Wrote:  The garage I use replaced rear brake cylinders over a couple of days brake pedal nearly reaches the floor but still stopped the vehicle but if you slightly touched the pedal released and applied the pedal again all seemed fine thought it would just need bleeding took it back to garage to have brakes bled got a phone call said they could not bleed brakes either master cylinder no good or brake servo no good anyone have any idea

I had a similar problem with mine when I bought it pedal goes to floor. The way I sorted it was to use an auto bleeder with good pressure. Bled all starting with furthest away from master cylinder and let loads of fluid run out renewing fluid on each wheel so in the end done 2 jobs in 1 go no air and all new brake fluid.

By the way are the brake shoes fully adjusted if not you will get travel on pedal (cylinders have to open further before pressure starts building up on pedal)
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Iank for this post
If you have drums on rear you/they will have trouble removing all air as if you look at hoses you will see they are routed in a inverted U SHAPE which makes them a sod to bleed , you need to persist and use far more fresh fluid than normal, also the compensating valve will let fluid through regardless of position and they rarely work well unless new or you carry very heavy loads on a regular basis as they will seize or the spring hooks will rust/snap. check for fluid loss near pedal and under master cylinder/servo , most importantly get it sorted before driving.