Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] 'Awkward gearbox'
Hello all ....

Glad I found this forum.

1.I have a 2006/7 Bingo that has developed an issue with the gears. Seems like they are misaligned from the gear stick (?) and have to be 'tickled' into place. Local dealer has checked the clutch / gears (when warm) and said it seems OK (!). I confess to not knowing anything much about motors and it is getting a bit late in the day for learning.

Was planning, with the help of a friendly mechanic, to start by changing the gearbox oil, (75/80 I think) then check operation before considering if the rods / bushes are worn.  Then consider replacing them perhaps ? Dealer said that the gearbox oil is sealed so it couldn't be an issue. Doesn't seem to be any leaks that I can see.
[i Have lubricated the rods and this did seem to make gear changing easier. The car picks up a deal of mud from the roads due to the local farmers up here./i]

2. Partial failure in the power steering. Steering tightens up drastically as you go around roundabouts. No issues with small steering movements. Levels are good. From reading, (and I could be wrong, air locks would purge themselves with use of the steering ?). Seems like a new / recon/ pump is required ?

Any advice gratefully received.  Huh
I would suspect the gear linkage.With the power steering,as a first step I would drain the fluid & refill.It tends to get tired & contaminated.Look at the old fluid for metallic particles & colour.Red is ok,dark red to black is nasty.Good luck & let us know how you get on. Smile
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
It will not do any harm to change the gear box oil The gear linkage are loose or worn
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Smile 
(21-02-2015, 09:03 PM)ron Wrote:  I would suspect the gear linkage.With the power steering,as a first step I would drain the fluid & refill.It tends to get tired & contaminated.Look at the old fluid for metallic particles & colour.Red is ok,dark red to black is nasty.Good luck & let us know how you get on. Smile

Hello Ron,

Thank you for the advice. I think Jed is in agreement with you about the gear problem being due to the worn linkage. I have had a looksee on the web for parts and I will ask my mechanic pal to keep me right about ordering the right bits.
As regards the steering, I'll follow that advice up as well. Will try and keep you posted on outcomes.

Thank you again,

Kind regards; Kookie Smile
Smile 
(21-02-2015, 11:04 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  It will not do any harm to change the gear box oil  The gear linkage are loose or worn

Hello Jed,

Thank you for the advice. I think Ron is in agreement with you about the gear problem being due to the worn linkage. I have had a looksee on the web for parts and I will ask my mechanic pal to keep me right about ordering the right bits.
As regards the steering, I'll follow that advice up as well. Will try and keep you posted on outcomes.

Thank you again,

Kind regards; Kookie Smile
As an aside on the steering fluid,if it is really dirty,change as suggested,run for a month or so & drain/change again.Fluid is cheap,PAS bit 'aint. Wink Smile
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
Most likely gear linkages.
The rubber cups that fits onto the ball-ends wears out in time. And can even rot out completely.
On my 1999, when I pulled one off, it left the cups on the balls...

The good news is that they're cheap, and can even be found on eBay.

It may be a good idea to check the gear oil,too.
Depends on how old it is, really.
(Both age and how much use it has had)
But mostly, I'd check the gearbo for leakage. Wet areas around the shafts and such.
Low oil level can make a gearbo act oddly, particularly when cold.