Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo problem
It may not come as a surprise that my 1.6 2009 turbo has failed at 60000 miles. The engine has had 6 oil changes, between 0 and 59000 miles, two of which I must admit were semi synthetic. The sump is off and there is no sign of sludge or coke in the sump or around the engine internals. The little strainer in the oil feed banjo bolt was in place and unfortunately it was cleaned before I got a look at it. However, the garage ran the engine with supply to turbo disconnected for a few seconds (turbo already knackered by then) and had to turn it off quick as there was a lot of oil flowing out of the open end (uncleaned strainer still in place at that time). A crude test, I know, but it implies a pretty good supply to the turbo. The feed pipe from block to turbo is clear (I blew through it). I haven't seen the engine oil filter yet. Not yet looked at injectors.

Looking at the Berlingo manual posted in this forum, the procedure tells you to remove the little strainer. This I intend to do as I understand the oil supply to the turbo is taken off just after the engine oil filter, so should be pretty clean. I can't quite come to terms with the fitting of a tiny strainer in an inaccessible position and not mentioning its existence to owners. Its not mentioned in any maintenance schedule I have seen. Do Citroen dealers clean it as part of their servicing? What exactly is its purpose? If your oil is clean it will go straight through the strainer, and if your oil is full of crap large enough to block the strainer, the strainer starves the turbo of oil. The same crap is presumably busy wrecking the rest of your engine.

I wonder if I it would be better to retain a form of strainer to protect the turbo should relatively large particles arise. I'm thinking about a larger strainer in line, and cleaning it now and then. The original would be removed. Has anybody done this? It doesn't look straightforward.
Current wisdom seems to be to leave the strainer out and change oil every 6000 or so. I wonder what my chances are if I do this. I'm tempted to mend the car and take it to Webuyanycar, or similar.
Any advice welcome. particularly about fitting an in line oil filter to turbo. This seems to be the only way I can get long term confidence in the car.
Thanks.
Hello Boxer welcome to the forum just a Q do you let the engine run on tick over for about 30 + seconds before you turn it off to cool the turbo bearing's after a drive
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(22-02-2015, 04:05 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Hello Boxer welcome to the forum just a Q do you let the engine run on tick over for about 30 + seconds before you turn it off to cool the turbo bearing's after a drive

I roll up to my door in neutral giving the turbo a bit of time to slow down. But I doubt if it's 30 seconds. More like 15. It gets a similar delay before I drive away from cold.
Thanks for welcome.
Hi Boxer, sorry to hear of your woes, it sounds like you have been particularly unlucky.
It certainly doesn't sound like the engine has been abused servicing wise but have you owned it from new and therefore trust its history.

How did the turbo fail?
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
(22-02-2015, 05:33 PM)Solent Wrote:  Hi Boxer, sorry to hear of your woes, it sounds like you have been particularly unlucky.
It certainly doesn't sound like the engine has been abused servicing wise but have you owned it from new and therefore trust its history.

How did the turbo fail?

Owned it from new. Turbo seemed ok and just before failing it came up a fairly steep hill with what seemed like normal power. On the way down the other side it started to make a continuous whining/ wailing sound. Thought of a wheel bearing or something associated with brakes, but it was clearly related to engine speed. Then a loss of power such that I could only manage 40ish on the level. This all happened very quickly.
No high temps or oil warning light on the dashboard.
There's a lot of play in the turbo shaft. Anybody know what sort of bearings are fitted?
(22-02-2015, 11:08 PM)Boxer Wrote:  
(22-02-2015, 05:33 PM)Solent Wrote:  Hi Boxer, sorry to hear of your woes, it sounds like you have been particularly unlucky.

How did the turbo fail?

Owned it from new. Turbo seemed ok and just before failing it came up a fairly steep hill with what seemed like normal power. On the way down the other side it started to make a continuous whining/ wailing sound. Thought of a wheel bearing or something associated with brakes, but it was clearly related to engine speed. Then a loss of power such that I could only manage 40ish on the level. This all happened very quickly.
No high temps or oil warning light on the dashboard.
There's a lot of play in the turbo shaft. Anybody know what sort of bearings are fitted?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mix3U-eZ9dY
At around 6m 40sec this video recommends removal of strainer. 
The 1.6hdi are very sensitive to the type of oil used, lets face it since this engine was lunched Citroen,Peugeot & Ford have changed the oil spec 3 times that i know to. First it was 10/40 semi then 5/40 fully now its 5/30 fully low Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, Sulphur. The low SAPS is now recommended for use in all 1.6hdi even the ones without particulate filters.

I and many others also feel that the 12000 mile oil change interval is pushing the oil too far and 6000 mile intervals are preferable.

I have never known any other engine dirty the oil so quickly - it seems dry and gritty to the touch. It is also the only engine i recommend a flush when the oil is changed as when doing this the oil stays, well oily, to the touch between services. I would be very interested if anyone out there have had the oil analysed when doing 12000 mile services.

I know the new Ford Focus with the same engine fitted has a timer on the cooling fan and if you pull up and do not let the engine idle for long enough it will cut in to cool the turbo down after you have locked up and walked away. So there must also be something in the oil style turbo vehicle start up and shut down procedure.
(22-02-2015, 11:23 PM)Boxer Wrote:  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mix3U-eZ9dY
At around 6m 40sec this video recommends removal of strainer. 

In you case little strainer will be clogged again, and again until all the sump is removed from engine.
Did you replace injector seals ? . You must perfectly clean inside of you engine, but that is impossible !

You can remove the little strainer but you must put some filter before turbo !

Also little play in turbo shaft is perfectly ok. Don't worry about it.

I change oil every year regardless of miles, also I check little strainer every year, 15 min job.
Also I tighten injector bolts every year... 
If you have a full Citroen dealer workshop service history on this you will get some redress off Citroen UK if you push hard enough, I certainly would.