Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roadies' Van - an Update.
Back in March 2011 I bought a Mk1 Berlingo van, 02 reg, 2L HDI with 63K on the clock. Having used it for work it now has 163K on the clock, regularly does 400 miles a day & I'm pleased to say it's been fantastic.
It's been maintained well by a relative who is a skilled mechanic, but other than a radiator it's only been normal wear & tear items.
I've grown to love this simple basic little van so much that when I found a Mk2 52 reg 2L HDI Peugeot Partner with 54K on the clock I couldn't resist it (I hope I'm still welcome here).
I bought it as a back-up for the first van, but as it's a really nice metallic blue colour & has working air con, I have decided to keep it for myself as a bit of a hobby. It needs a little TLC but only minor cosmetic stuff & I plan a few simple mods (watch this space).

I guess I'm hooked !
Of course you're still welcome.I'm looking forward to your news of improvements.I still find it amazing that older low mileage are still out there.Were they bought for the wrong reason? I've got a 57 reg HDi with 43,000 on the clock & to me that is very low.Before I retired I serviced a few courier vans with mega miles & the Berlingos were the least trouble.That's why I bought one when I retired. Big Grin
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(24-02-2015, 09:18 PM)ron Wrote:  Of course you're still welcome.I'm looking forward to your news of improvements.I still find it amazing that older low mileage are still out there.Were they bought for the wrong reason? I've got a 57 reg HDi with 43,000 on the clock & to me that is very low.Before I retired I serviced a few courier vans with mega miles & the Berlingos were the least trouble.That's why I bought one when I retired. Big Grin

Before I bought the first van ( on a very limited budget when starting a new business) I asked my son ( mechanic ) & nephew ( AA inspector ) what to buy, both immediatley said Berlingo (or Partner), it was good advice.
Hello Roadie welcome to the forum you know once your hooked there's no going back  Wink
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

(24-02-2015, 09:58 PM)Jed Clampit Wrote:  Hello Roadie welcome to the forum you know once your hooked there's no going back  Wink

I fear it's to late, the "family car" is a 4x4, there's the "works van" a Berlingo & now the "hobby van" a Partner, there's just me & my wife, but she doesn't drive, should I seek help ?
No you are ok, as your wife does not drive you don't have to share  Smile
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
(24-02-2015, 10:31 PM)Roadie Wrote:  I fear it's to late, the "family car" is a 4x4, there's the "works van" a Berlingo & now the "hobby van" a Partner, there's just me & my wife, but she doesn't drive, should I seek help ?

That must cost a few quid in insurance and tax.

Have you thought about getting rid of the lot and getting a multispace? - the true "do everything" mobile. Ours is our car and the delivery van for the business.

You can black or mirror-tint the back windows if carrying visible loads would be an issue.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to doofer for this post
(25-02-2015, 11:06 AM)doofer Wrote:  
(24-02-2015, 10:31 PM)Roadie Wrote:  I fear it's to late, the "family car" is a 4x4, there's the "works van" a Berlingo & now the "hobby van" a Partner, there's just me & my wife, but she doesn't drive, should I seek help ?

That must cost a few quid in insurance and tax.

Have you thought about getting rid of the lot and getting a multispace? - the true "do everything" mobile.  Ours is our car and the delivery van for the business.

You can black or mirror-tint the back windows if carrying visible loads would be an issue.

"That must cost a few quid in insurance and tax."

It does, but the 4x4 is to carry us (& the grandkids) in comfort, if you do a lot of miles in a van it's worth it, the "works van" is permanently fully laden with equipment it's not practical to load & unload every time I need a car, so the only real extra expense is the "hobby van" (which does twice the MPG of the 4x4) ---------- I can live with that.
A further up-date on the "hobby van" it's 54k miles on a 52 plate with no history, so I've had the timing belt ( & water pump because it was leaking ) replaced ( it was still on the original belt according to the guy who replaced it ). I've fixed the broken (into) rear doors lock, fitted a catch to the broken glove box lid, replaced the missing / broken top engine cover mounts, de-badged the one rear door because two letters of " PEUGEOT" were missing & replaced the wheels / tyres with 306 GTI 15" cyclone alloys with 195-50-15 tyres, which has completely transformed the driving "feel" for the better.
I've got a pair of roof rails waiting to be fitted this weekend if time/weather allows & then I'll put some pics up.
Glad you're still having fun.We love pics so let's have 'em. Big Grin
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy