Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blower rage
Hi Everyone,

I am interested in some advice re a faulty blower.  As I started the engine today the horn gave a small beep then the blower turned on in the off position.  Horn seems okay but the blower wont turn off.  Mainly it's on full whack but if I turn the knobs I can detect small changes in noise and pressure.  I can also still direct it to the compartment or windscreen okay.  I have read several posts on this site and several others, to try and determine the likely fault as I am unable to correct it myself and want to sound knowledgeable when I get to a garage.  However some say it is the resistors at fault, others the transistors or less likely to me - the wiring or fuse box.  Does anyone know the precise error or shall we say their best educated guess.  The directional knob turns okay but the internal/external switch together with speed of blower seems a bit stiff.  The car is a 54 reg berlingo with air con and 35,000 miles on clock.

Thank you
It will be the resistor pack.

The transistors are part of that unit and they are prone to blowing which gives the exact fault you describe. People have replaced the transistors by soldering them in, but you can by the resistor pack very cheap and do it yourself quite easily.

Citroen and the like charge about £90 for the resistor pack, plus fitting. You can buy your own off ebay for little over £10.

With Air con fitted, this should be the part you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360825657777?_...EBIDX%3AIT
[+] 2 users say Thank You to tucker for this post
There are some instructions on the web, showing you how to go about fixing it:

http://www.johnandchris.screaming.net/be...blower.htm

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/c...-unit.html

It's not a particularly difficult fix.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to tucker for this post
hi I had some trouble with my heater blower last year someone said its the resistor so fitted
new one same problem then some t**t at garage says its looks like the heater control
switch so I got same from ebay a total mare to fit still blower playing up then I had a thought
it could be the brushes in blower got new set of brushes and you would not believe it its been
working great since so I would check them just in case.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to boycie21 for this post
(27-02-2015, 12:20 PM)tucker Wrote:  It will be the resistor pack.

The transistors are part of that unit and they are prone to blowing which gives the exact fault you describe. People have replaced the transistors by soldering them in, but you can by the resistor pack very cheap and do it yourself quite easily.

Citroen and the like charge about £90 for the resistor pack, plus fitting. You can buy your own off ebay for little over £10.

With Air con fitted, this should be the part you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360825657777?_...EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the link it is good to have some idea of cost.
(27-02-2015, 12:27 PM)tucker Wrote:  There are some instructions on the web, showing you how to go about fixing it:

http://www.johnandchris.screaming.net/be...blower.htm

http://www.blower-motor-resistor.co.uk/c...-unit.html

It's not a particularly difficult fix.

Looking at your posts I was beginning to warm to the idea of doing it myself then I read to the bottom of your second link.  A few days before I had the problem I went through an unexpectedly deep pool of water and experienced a strange shuddering noise on the left front side of the car.  It did not affect the car drove fine, engine good but for a few minutes it gave me the impression there was something wrong.  I stopped for a few minutes .  Then continued on my way and noise had gone.  Is it possible I got water in the blower and if so does that make the repair more complicated.  Thanks.
(27-02-2015, 07:58 PM)boycie21 Wrote:  hi I had some trouble with my heater blower last year someone said its the resistor so fitted
new one same problem then some t**t at garage says its looks like the heater control
switch so I got same from ebay a total mare to fit still blower playing up then I had a thought
it could be the brushes in blower got new set of brushes and you would not believe it its been
working great since so I would check them just in case.

Thanks I wondered about the heater control switch myself, so your post will help me avoid this possible error.
Big Grin 
thanks newbie glad I was some help when I had the problem with blower it was heavy snow and weather
was terrible I had to have a portable heater in van (don't ask) it was a nightmare time as I said before
replaced with new resistor and heater control switch it was by chance when I had the blower out
I looked at brushes and in bad way cleaned all the carbon off motor and replaced with new ones
and it worked a treat fault finding is hard sometimes you don't know where to start hope you get it
sorted out 
[+] 1 user says Thank You to boycie21 for this post