Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return of starting problem
Hi All
I posted a few days ago about my 2.0 Hdi ('06) van suddenly not starting. I thought Id cured it when I reset the BSI as I had about a weeks trouble free driving. Got in it today and seems same problem returned ie. Cranks over nicely as usual but just wont fire up.  I tried the BSI reset procedure (which seemed to cure it before) but to no avail. Battery seems to weaken fairly quickly too but I havent been having any alternator issues that I know of. Whether its relevant to mention, and its probably a side issue but I'll throw it in anyway, this van has had a problem for about a year with the fuel gauge being inconsistent from time to time. Some days it says that there is less fuel than is present others it seems fine. On some occassions I can get in and out of the van in the space of only five minutes and get a totally different fuel reading than when I got out of it. The gauage has never said there is more fuel than is present it only shows less when the fault occurs. That aside and getting back to todays current fault, the van was last used yesterday at lunchtime and was then parked until mid-day today so was stood probably around 23 hrs. Is there anyway of checking if it is a fuel issue? If it is electronic do I have to hook it up to a code reader before trying anything simple? There is plenty of fuel in tank. Currently got battery on charge to make sure its fully charged before I go out and try BSI reset proedure again and prime the fuel bulb. Also should add that the key fob has a new battery and central locking etc works fine. Van has run well for a week since changing key fob battery too. Also I dont have a spare key to try. If it is an immobiliser issue can only a fault code reader tell me this? I should add that I live in a remote village in the Yorks dales and nearest garage is 12miles away and I not in RAC etc so any help will be a god send. And one last thing....yesterday I had to go through three large puddles in high winds on a hill side which sprayed the van heavily. Could I check if the BSi is damp/wet and if so how do I find it?
Going to be difficult to address this issue from what you have said.
1st of all, the key fob battery makes no difference the car starting, it only operates the locking system which is totally separate to the immobiliser.
If you car has a fuel pump primer bulb, then it is a Siemens injector system, so no in tank fuel pump to worry about.
If the immobiliser is preventing it from starting, it's hard to know without diagnostic gear, so the injection system will be not working. Most likely that the BSI reset was a fluke & that it just decided to work.
Have had issues with the wiring in the channeling along the front of the engine on these, particularly where it goes from the channel into the plastic conduit, that takes the wiring across to the battery area.
Definitely worth looking for corroded wiring in this area.
Gents
Further news, checked fuses under bonnet all fine. Checked BSI (found it) and had one 15amp fuse blown. Swapped from spares but dont know what the fuse was for and cant find any guides anywhere. Tried BSI reset procedure but still no starting. Checked fuses again and nothing had blown while trying. Would be interested to see a BSI fuse diagram for '06 Berlingo (2lt HDi van) just for fact finding purposes and any clues.
PS. On turning ignition, fuel gauge goes up to half way then instantly drops to nothing could this be linked....bloody electronics doing my head in!!
Also Eco-Mode showing up on display. I know this is normal, but normally when this has come on before it goes if I remove key and re-insert it before starting. Now it stays on but this just might be cos Ive not got it going yet. I think Im looking for too many clues and gettign sidetracked. Comments or help very welcome.
(07-03-2015, 03:52 PM)Lighty Wrote:  Going to be difficult to address this issue from what you have said.
1st of all, the key fob battery makes no difference the car starting, it only operates the locking system which is totally separate to the immobiliser.
If you car has a fuel pump primer bulb, then it is a Siemens injector system, so no in tank fuel pump to worry about.
If the immobiliser is preventing it from starting, it's hard to know without diagnostic gear, so the injection system will be not working. Most likely that the BSI reset was a fluke & that it just decided to work.
Have had issues with the wiring in the channeling along the front of the engine on these, particularly where it goes from the channel into the plastic conduit, that takes the wiring across to the battery area.
Definitely worth looking for corroded wiring in this area.

Thanks Lighty
Will have a look or gently tug on some of the wiring to see if I can disturb something. Both fuse box and BSI are bone dry so its not a water ingress problem.
Thanks again for replying.
Is cranking it over flattening the battery fairly quickly?
My 2.0 was doing this, 8 to 10 cranks when cold and battery was too drained and gave up, a new high power starter motor sorted it. Instant start everytime now.
Are you sure the battery is ok and spinning the motor over fast enough. Have a read of this thread it may be of interest
http://www.berlingoforum.co.uk/thread-11...rter+motor
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
Thanks gents
Battery is turning engine over quickly enough....as it does normally, plenty of energy in this respect so sure its not a weak starter motor. I also had battery on a top up charge for a couple of hours before doing another BSI reset and the starter was whizzing over fine and cranking engine fine. Im pretty sure its electronic and possibly linked to immobiliser but Im not expert as can be seen from my problem.
Does anyone know why a blue 15amp fuse would blow on the BSI? This seems like a good clue to what might be the problem. Changed the fuse earlier today but to no avail and it hasnt blown since trying to start the vehicle but not sure of relevance. Only thing I can try next is try and drag the van from outside the property (we're up a narrow track)onto the road and try a tow start as we head for the garage 12 miles away. What joy.Suppose it could have been worse had the fault occured in the middle of nowhere. Funnily enough, the two non-starting problems both occurred outside the cottage here at home. I think its going to be something simple that will hopefully show up on a code reader. Got to be optimistic havent you!
Take the immobiliser off the ECU and your problems will be gone.
http://www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Remaps available for 1.6 EDC16, 2.0 Bosch EDC15 & Siemens SID801
Thanks for the suggestion, Im 260 miles or 5 hrs drive away from Bristol so not really an option. Im going to drag the van to my local garage and hope for the best. would still be interested in fidning out what the 15 amp fuse was for on the BSI. Anyone got a fuse diagram?
Trying to get my head round this van starting issue after latest event today. Left battery on charge overnight. Reconnected it at mid-day today and did the BSI reset and 'hey presto' the van fired up instantly as if nothing had been wrong. This is a similar occurance to last time (several days ago) when van started after charging battery and letting vehicle stand for a day. Whats going on anyone? The engine didnt seem to crank any faster than normal so is it a voltage sensing thing? Could there be a problem with alternator/battery that tells some electronic component not to permit starting? I'll put my tester across the battery to see if its charging okay. Till then, Im a bit stumped as to cause but at least van is running........for now.
Dont want to go out an start buying new batteries and alternators if this isnt the underlying cause of the problem. Any help much appreciated.