Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ETG6 Gearbox Advice Needed!
Hi,
I have had my XTR ETG6 since the end of December now, and still can't master the art of getting out of junctions quickly and smoothly with the ETG6 auto gearbox.

The problem I have is that when I need to get out of a junction quickly, the gearbox wants to change into second too soon. I have tried walloping my foot down on the accelerator, but that causes wheelspin even though it does make it stay in first longer. I have also tried setting off normally, then pushing my foot down harder, but I find that it is very jerky as it keeps trying to change up a gear.

Is this normal for this gearbox or do you think it might need its software looking at?
2014 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 e-Hdi XTR ETG6
Downshift to first using paddle
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut:
[+] 1 user says Thank You to taxi for this post
Don't know if it has Sport Mode button....if so , that keeps it in gear longer
I have had my Etg6 Berlingo van for 2 months now and have covered 8000 miles in it.

I have found the best technique is to anticipate the traffic, so take your foot off the brake just prior to committing which allows the stop start to kick in and then the van is already slowly pulling away.

It does take some getting used to but I would never go back to a manual van

I haven't had a problem with the system taking too long to change up or changing too quickly. It may be that you might just have to change your driving style slightly.

Hope that helps!
[+] 2 users say Thank You to simmocs330 for this post
As simmocs330 says, persevere....but I did get ecu update on my previous eHdi which had the egs gearbox
[+] 1 user says Thank You to taxi for this post
I'd say there's something wrong with it if it's that bad.

Mine's an October 2014 vintage XTR ETG and it's very smooth. There's no special technique involved at all - I don't use the paddles at all in normal driving. Just gently accelerate away and the clever gearbox should do the rest.

Don't lift your foot off at all while it's changing gear - there's no need, and it can confuse it. It will not rev in neutral if you're accelerating, it's much cleverer than that.

Just put your foot gently on the accelerator then do nothing else - no lifting, stomping or anything at all.

If it won't pull away smoothly by just accelerating in auto mode then you should have it looked at.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to doofer for this post
Thanks Doofer, it's fine in normal driving, it's just when you need to set off quickly that I encounter issues , for example when you are pulling out onto a busy main road, see a gap and try to pull out quickly. Driving normally and all is well.
I don't do much quickly, but I'll drive like a loony in about half an hour when I take the day's post.

So I'll be stopped at a junction with the engine stopped, then I'll set off like a BMW driver, see what happens.
Go boy, go like the wind!!!
I annoyed the people behind by waiting at a green light until the car in front had got out of the way, then floored it. It worked perfectly. It accelerated to (very roughly, was watching the road) 4000rpm, then went into 2nd, then carried on accelerating. Then I had to let go, as I'd already caught up the one in front.

This was the only chance I got, and it seemed pretty good to me. OK, there was a perfectly normal bit of a stop and go feeling as it changed gear, but just exactly like you'd get with someone changing manually. Certainly not jerky, but it's subjective. My head didn't fall off.

Perhaps if you're used to a torque convertor type automatic then it might be a bit less smooth, but I'd say it did a pretty good job considering that I was going flat-out. What type of gearbox are you used to?

I just had it in Automatic mode, stopped on the foot brake, engine eco-stopped. Then off the brake, gas pedal to the floor. Don't lift off or do anything while it changes to 2nd, let's compare notes.