Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Key cutting
Hi, I have just become the proud owner of a 2002 mk1 1.9d Multispace Forte 5 door. the previous owner had lost the spare key and I want to get a new one cut. My question is- do all keys need to be fitted with a transponder? I am a little confused.There is nothing on the key to say what it is other than "SILCA Italy". It has 4 ridges at right-angles to each other. There is also no central locking. Any advice would be very welcome!
Your local well known key cutting shop can cut them for you and code them don't park the car to far away you will need to put the new key in the IGN cost around £50
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

If your key hasn't got a plastic fob then someone has bypassed the transponder function and you can just get another plain key cut for about £5. If your vehicle is ever stolen, the insurance will not pay out if they discover this.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
Thanks for the replies. I am still a little confused. What do you mean by a plastic fob? Mine looks exactly like this one-
http://www.carkeyhelp.co.uk/products/Cit...-SX9T.html
options for purchasing it include transponder or no transponder...
When I say it is exactly like the key in the link, I mean that it is the same but has been cut of course!
That will have the transponder in it, I was reading far too much into what you described.

If you want the new key to be able to start the car you will need it to have a transponder chip and have it programmed in, as has been said above this is about £50 (much cheaper than Citroen).

Generally for a spare I just buy a plain metal key that will open the doors should I manage to lock the main key inside and costs me about £5 but I have to be careful to never lose the main key.

If you buy that ebay key with the transponder fitted, I'd guess anyone with a lexia could programme it in for you and any car key cutting place will cut it.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
I have contacted vendor and he is not sure but he thinks that immobilizer is not connected. What I think I'll do is get a basic key cut and see if it works in the ignition- if it does I know I have no immobilizer, if it doesn't, at least I will have a spare door key and will have to get a transponder key cut and get it programmed - can the code be found from the old key, I wonder, as I have nothing in the documentation regarding a code? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
Thanks for all the help!
(30-03-2015, 02:53 PM)steve4736 Wrote:  I have contacted vendor and he is not sure but he thinks that immobilizer is not connected. What I think I'll do is get a basic key cut and see if it works in the ignition- if it does I know I have no immobilizer, if it doesn't, at  least I will have a spare door key and will have to get a transponder key cut and get it programmed - can the code be found from the old key, I wonder, as I have nothing in the documentation regarding a code? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it!
Thanks for all the help!

ive had some done in the shoe repair shop in town.... they read the code from the existing key and copy it to the new one,....then with our mk1 berlingo it had to be put into the ignition and matched to the car computer as well...only a few minutes.      then i managed to mislay the origional so ive still only got one.

if you get a jobsworth who got out of bed the wrong side theyll refuse to do a blank key if the origional has a transponder ,  "the car might not like a non transponder key being put in the ignition and shut down completely"     total bullcrap but its not worth arguing.
Thanks for replies. I got a basic key cut and tried it, finding out that there is an immobilizer. Now need a transponder key. The vehicle does not appear to have central locking (I have to lock all the doors individually). Is it just not working or do these models not come with it as standard? Its a 2001 19.D Multispace Forte.
Mine is the same model, without central locking. Two original keys with transponders, and one copy which opens doors, but will not start the engine.
Malcolm.
2001 1.9D Multispace.
Diagbox diagnostics in Northumberland.