Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[HOW TO] Switch out the MKII airbox for the MKI instead = Less H2O into engine
My junkyard guy mentioned to me that if I can, I should tear out the air box from my 2004 1.9D MKII and replace it with the older air box from the MKI (1998-2002).  Why?  Because the regular one lets in water.

Water blows into the air box, gets thru the filter, blows straight into the intake and rusts out the inside parts. 
I believed him, tracked down a Peugeot MKI in another junkyard, got the air box and hose assembly, then came back to the original junkyard on a different day and made the switch.  

But before we look at the pics below, let me show you this:

[Image: rusty-cylinder-IMG_3871.jpeg]

The junkyard guy brings junked cars from England over here to Israel in order to part them out.  This came out of a 2005 1.9D just like my 2004 engine - only thing was, this was already rusted when it came out.  Reason being, the MKII air box sucks rainwater directly into the engine.  That's why he recommended I switch to the older air box that was used on the MKI.

I don't have Step-by-step pics, but just some basics to get the idea across.

Here's the original boxy MKII air box:
MKII air box

On the other hand, the MKI air box is cylindrical, not boxy:
[Image: MKI-airbox-IMG_3854.jpg]^^ MKI airbox 

Other thing is, the MKI air box hoses have got no place for the MAP sensor to go, so I had to fit that on there somehow.

MKI air box has this nifty trumpet-shaped cold air inlet which allows in cold air straight from the front grille area.  The hole for this inlet is still there in the MKII body:
Closeup of oval body hole and trumpet-shaped inlet

I got this part of the hose which contains the MAP sensor connected to the hose from the new MKI filter box:
Hose connect to MAP

Had to warm up a bit of the plastic/rubber hosing with fire to make it fit:
Closeup of the hosing assembly to the right side of the MAP

Getting the hose angles to work so the trumpet-shaped cold air inlet is properly placed meant that the whole assembly barrel fits underneath the hood, but it does fit, barely:
Height of the whole assembly

So here's the overview of how it turned out:
MKII with MKI air box overview

I used bits of wire and screws to get the pieces connected to the frame so they won't wobble.  For example, I drilled a wood screw into the plastic holder on the side of the new air box, and used that screw to hang the box from the frame with wire.  Another bit of wire to hold other stuff near the side of the air box, and one sheet metal screw to hold the mouth of the trumpet-style air inlet close to the oval-shaped hole, and it's done.  

I'd bet the air coming in will be cooler now than the ambient engine compartment air that was entering the boxy-shaped original air box.  And the big news is that this old style cylindrical air box doesn't pass water onward into the engine - it's got a water trap in the bottom - so that should help this engine last a lot longer. 
[Image: 177657.png]   2004 1.9D DW8 WJY with black spray paint on wheels instead of flimsy plastic wheel covers.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to teddyc1 for this post
Many thanks for posting this.
2010 Berlingo Multispace HDi 110 with FAP. Persamos green.

[Image: ab197646.gif]
Thumbs Up 
(08-04-2015, 11:04 AM)3rensho Wrote:  Many thanks for posting this.

Most welcome 3rensho.  Hope it helps someone. [Image: thumbsup.png]
[Image: 177657.png]   2004 1.9D DW8 WJY with black spray paint on wheels instead of flimsy plastic wheel covers.
That piston has come out of an engine that's inhaled *a lot* of water, suffered hydraulic lock of one or more pistons and bent at least one rod. It's either then been left soaking, possibly with the sump off or head off before bejng removed hence the rust and corrosion. That's absolutely nothing to do with damp air, a little water getting in or the filter shape. Sorry. If you drive through water deep enough to do that damage, it won't matter what shape of air box you have.

I've taken many many engines apart of all shapes and sizes.I've never seen a running one that's had any rust at all internally - including some running very open intake systems.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
Whenever it rained and I was driving, next morning there would be a big bunch of smoke out of the tailpipe at startup. Never happened unless I drove in the rain the day before. Now it's not the rainy season so might have to wait till fall to check this out. Do you think that if rainwater gets in and then the car is not driven a few days--that such a piston might be the result?

Sent from i myPhone using Tapatalk
I had a 1.9 Citroen ZX Volcane that suffered a hydraulic locked engine, it killed a lovely car.
Diesel engines need cool air hence the air intake was at a very low point, under the radiator if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, it is easy to suck in water with dire consequences.
MkIII VTR 1.6hdi Modutop, Climate Pack, 16" Alloys
Im sorry but that rod and piston has come out of an engine that has suffered hydraulic lock and has been driven through deep water, then left with the water in just as mike said. The only reason the water got in was going through deep water to fast.
Are we there yet????? No we fecking ain`t  gggggrrrrrrr
Ex 1.6hdi van now 3 seater 1.4 multispace
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Tomcat3 for this post
You guys are probably right about that. I can't expect a junkyard guy to really know the full history of a car. For me I'm happy just to have cool air coming in and hopefully no more smokey starts the morning after a rain, but we'll see about that when it rains.

Sent from i myPhone using Tapatalk
I have to add that I didn't see that rusty cylinder until after the air box switch was done; it's not like I was convinced by the cylinder. When I heard the standard air box lets in water, I thought I finally understood why I had those rough starts the morning after driving in rain. Sure, rain getting in is nothing like driving thru a flood, but nevertheless, I didn't think it would be all that great for my motor. Seems like Solent's ZX dragged in rainwater and that ruined his car without driving thru a flood, so, perhaps I wasn't that far off.

The MKI round air box has a separate compartment below which traps any small amount of water that happens to get into the filter area.
Found similar rainy day symptoms on another forum:

"all the other info point to water ingress of the air filter…"