Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi! Just joined ...
I'm looking forward to being able to buy a Multispace in the next couple of months! It will be used mostly as a van, but without the drawbacks of a van (insurance costs, going to the tip etc!). I'll be couriering small pets in carriers in it, so I'd like to make a few mods to it when I get it, but I'll still want to be able to restore it to car function pretty easily!

I'm hoping I can get some hints and tips!

If anyone knows of a nice, reliable 1.9 Desire, approx £2k, post 2003, please let me know!

Corinne
I'd go for the 2.0HDi in preference to the 1.9.

Nicer to drive, more economical, longer belt change intervals, and parts are cheaper if/when they fail. There's so many of these HDi motors around now that parts are dirt cheap secondhand if you need to replace anything such as the high pressure fuel pump, injectors etc. You should be able to get an 04 or maybe an 05 HDi for that money. Make sure it's got aircon though, they're like a damn greenhouse in summer if not.

I'd sell you mine for that money but it needs a couple of jobs and I like it too much :-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to mikep1973 for this post:
  • Corinne Howarth
Wow! Really? That's great! Everyone's been saying the 1.9 is the workhorse to go for ... But the 2.0 is cheaper to tax and more of them about! So I'm happy with that! Thank you. It'll have to have aircon as I'll be carrying animals ... But I'll be putting a vent in the roof as well.

If I'm not looking at 1.9 now, then I don't mind what size! Is 1.6 ok?

Thank you so much!

Corinne
I think people got the fear about the HDi engine because it was newfangled technology when it came out. As far as I can tell they're more reliable than the old 1.9, and certainly cheaper to replace a fuel pump or timing belt on in my experience.

You'd probably want a Forte with aircon rather than a Desire. The Desire has the modutop fitted and it's really not something you'd want to make a hole in and fit a vent to.

Within your budget you'll probably be restricted to a 2.0. This isn't a bad thing. The 1.6 is susceptible to oil contamination problems of the oil isn't changed regularly with the correct oil, which can lead to turbo failure and other annoying problems. The 2.0HDi does not suffer from this. It doesn't have a dual - mass flywheel and clutch to worry about either. It's a simple, reliable engine.

If you are anywhere near Reading you're welcome to have a better look at my Berlingo to see if it's definitely the car for you. I think they're great!

• Corinne Howarth
Thank you! That's wonderful! Very reassuring! Gives me a lot more choice, too! I accidentally came across the camping jump box that's for sale on here ... !! How fantastic is that?? I used to have a folding caravan, and really miss it! These Berlingos are so versatile!
(10-04-2015, 01:38 PM)Corinne Howarth Wrote:  Thank you! That's wonderful! Very reassuring! Gives me a lot more choice, too! I accidentally came across the camping jump box that's for sale on here ... !! How fantastic is that?? I used to have a folding caravan, and really miss it! These Berlingos are so versatile!

The owners are very nice as well. Big Grin
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(10-04-2015, 01:38 PM)Corinne Howarth Wrote:  Thank you! That's wonderful! Very reassuring! Gives me a lot more choice, too! I accidentally came across the camping jump box that's for sale on here ... !! How fantastic is that?? I used to have a folding caravan, and really miss it! These Berlingos are so versatile!

The Amdro boot jump thing is a great piece of equipment. There's a few one here have made their own similar things. I might have a go myself.

When buying a Berlingo of any model, it's very important to check that all the steering column switches - wipers, lights, indicators work correctly and the airbag light isn't on. If they don't work, or the airbag light is on, walk away. Don't believe a seller who tells you it's "just a connection" or "a cheap fix". It *might* be a quick fix but if it needs a new switch unit (search for comm2000 on here, that's the part) they can be up to around £300 depending on whichever one is fitted to your vehicle. That is the main thing to be aware of. Otherwise the HDi 2.0 is pretty unbreakable.

• Corinne Howarth
Please note that BOTH the Engine management light and the Airbag light(if airbags are fitted) light up for a second or three when the ignition is switched on.
There are dastards evil enough to remove the bulb or blanking it out with black tape to hide a serious issue.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post:
  • Corinne Howarth
(10-04-2015, 08:02 PM)Gadgetman Wrote:  Please note that BOTH the Engine management light and the Airbag light(if airbags are fitted) light up for a second or three when the ignition is switched on.
There are dastards evil enough to remove the bulb or blanking it out with black tape to hide a serious issue.
There are always dastardly folk about! Pfft!

What are the 1.4 and 1.6 like? Seem to be more of those about than 2.0 ...