Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Transmission] WHINING NOISE
ello, u all ok ? last few weeks i have noticed a deep whining noise in low gears when pulling away from standstill,when going up the gears this noise disappears,any suggestions ???( its going in next week to have a new clutch,because its very very heavy to depress) thanks in advance  MY MUCKER
Big Grin nice to be important,more important to be nice Wink
Input shaft bearing?
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
(12-04-2015, 09:21 PM)ron Wrote:  Input shaft bearing?

thanks Ron much obliged,and what is that in laymans terms or dumbos like me,can this be repaired when the clutch is being renewed??? (this week)
(13-04-2015, 07:12 PM)my mucker Wrote:  
(12-04-2015, 09:21 PM)ron Wrote:  Input shaft bearing?

thanks Ron much obliged,and what is that in laymans terms or dumbos like me,can this be repaired when the clutch is being renewed??? (this week)
Gearbox out is necessary & probably require stripping but DON'T do it on my say so.Get a good mechanic to listen to it. The shaft that pokes out into the bell housing is the g/box inputshaft.The bearing is what supports it.Some can be removed from the bellhousing but most require a g/box strip.I'm not familiar enough with the Berlingo box to know.
ok Ron very much obliged indeed,i'll have a word with the fitter who'll be doing the work and perhaps he can have a listen to determine what it is,anyway thanks again Ron
ello Ron u ok?,just to let you know about whining noise on my lingo ??the fitter listened to the noise and said straight away that it was the air filter box working itself loose??said it was a common fault on my model(1.9d)anyway he shoved some new screws on,and a long plastic tie around it to make sure it wont come off again,and to be honest what a difference it has made in the performance,it is going ten times better,i am well chuffed Big Grin Big Grin
(15-05-2015, 07:39 PM)my mucker Wrote:  ello Ron u ok?,just to let you know about whining noise on my lingo ??the fitter listened to the noise and said straight away that it was the air filter box working itself loose??said it was a common fault on my model(1.9d)anyway he shoved some new screws on,and a long plastic tie around it to make sure it wont come off again,and to be honest what a difference it has made in the performance,it is going ten times better,i am well chuffed  Big Grin  Big Grin
Well,that's a lot cheaper than an input  shaft bearing.I'm really chuffed for you.That's the problem with distance diagnosis,can't beat a lughole under the bonnet. Big Grin
i had this on my pug partner .

clutch release bearing when it has no tension on it at low revs would really audibly whine and when you got it up the gears if oyu listened really hard with your foot off the throttle it would whine then also.

If your clutch is going ill bet the release bearings also gone...

While your doing the clutch i suggest doing the mainseal , the clutch cable and the gear box linkages for the extra 40 quid it will cost. Drives like a shiny new pin again Big Grin
thanks anyway Ron catch you again s'pose,you too top drive, ye i've enquired about the linkages on another thread,trying to gather info to do it myself.thanks for your input, MY MUCKER
I too suffer from a whining noise when I drive with the wife in the car. Funny though, it disappears when she gets out!!!! ?
2014 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 e-Hdi XTR ETG6
[+] 1 user says Thank You to jayjay2cv for this post