Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wishbone bushes..
Hiya, I am changing wishbones again, seems to be about every 8k miles ( steady driver ) and I have both metal and aluminium.. Advice on which to fit..
 Thanks 
The wishbone bushes do split however this is no reason to change them unless they have excessive play in them. To change them at 8k does seem very excessive. It does not mater which ones you fit so take your pick.
I have thought about fitting the 800kg van ones as I think they are solid whereas the 600kg van ones are the same as a car.. I might be wrong..
Not sure myself about that one - are they totally shot?
What brand wishbones have you got on at the moment? They seem to be wearing fast!
Hiya v6boy..
I have tried several different brands from the cheap e-bay specials to OE Citroen. Don't waste your money on the cheap ones, the good ones have been Febi Bilstean, Quinton Hazel and Citroen but Citroen do not supply them any more so a whole new arm has to be bought.
Same goes for the ball joints and drop links, you get what you pay for...

I don't know why they wear fast, I agree 8k miles is excessive for something as important as suspension but I do like to keep the van in top condition so when the bushes start to tear at the rubber I change them. The only time I had to drive with the P bush adrift was when I fitted the cheap arms from e-bay, £28 for the pair and the lasted about 1500 miles before the P bush was shot.
(12-04-2015, 07:37 PM)ajcommercial Wrote:  Hiya, I am changing wishbones again, seems to be about every 8k miles

8000? Something wrong in the fitting if they're only lasting 8000 miles. I'd expect more like 80,000...

My 04 Multispace is on it's original bushes on one side at 106,000 miles. The left side had a new bottom arm because the ball joint was knackered and it's a one - piece job.
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
Ahh I see been there done that with cheap eBay wishbone's on another motor,self destructing rubber comes free with eBay specials. My personal favourite brand is lemforder they are expensive but worth every penny!
how are you fitting them ?

i must say ive had 100k out of my van (600l) ones and 95 out of the multispace ones and neither showing signs of needing replaced and thats with us living 3 miles up a farm track.
Hiya ...
there is only one way to fit a wishbone isn't there? If it doesn't go in the bolts will not align ..

V6Boy.. you are correct, the Lemforder ones are also good, have your heard of MOOG ?? I have some but not tried them yet..

How is it that people seem to get so many miles out of a piece of rubber ? That 'P' bush gets a pounding. In my opinion is a bad design and the very cheapest method, I can't think of another rubber bush that 'sheers' in it's operation on a car, they mainly absorb motion / vibration or perform a rocking motion. This is why I think a 'sheering' motion is a bad design for a rubber bush.
When I compare the wishbone to the wishbone on my Golf they seem similar but for the way the bushes work. I have changed the bushes on my Golf but they had done over 100k and weren't in a terrible state but I wanted to uprate them to Audi ones.