Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new air cleaner?
        Had the car for 3 weeks and have done 850 miles of mixed driving.
The non-franchised dealer serviced the car before I took delivery.
The service schedule hadn't been stamped so that was done before leaving the dealeship but the service due indicator had been reset.
Question is - does this air cleaner look like it's only done 850 miles? New to diesel ownership so comments appreciated!
Unless you have been driving through bonfires etc. I would have thought that had done much more than 850 miles.
--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
I agree with Trevor.The pollen filter?looks awful.
Strawberry flavoured windows  Dodgy
I would also say it has not been changed  Sad
                                     Smile  It's too orangey for crow's It's just for me and my dog  Smile

Heart Heart Love a lot trust a few  Dodgy

Thanks for the replies guys - you've confirmed my suspicions and no, not been driving through bonfires Smile
Tomorrow the oil and filter will be changed - as a precaution.
I suspect the pollen filter will be equally bad, is it located in the same place as the M59 model i.e. under the dash on the passenger side?
(25-04-2015, 05:25 PM)JT1 Wrote:  Had the car for 3 weeks and have done 850 miles of mixed driving.
The non-franchised dealer serviced the car before I took delivery.
The service schedule hadn't been stamped so that was done before leaving the dealeship but the service due indicator had been reset.
Question is - does this air cleaner look like it's only done 850 miles? New to diesel ownership so comments appreciated!

85,000 miles more like...
2004 Multispace Desire HDi - "Bertie"
How do you tell when a used car dealer's lying?

When his lips move.
(25-04-2015, 09:26 PM)JT1 Wrote:  Thanks for the replies guys - you've confirmed my suspicions and no, not been driving through bonfires  Smile
I suspect the pollen filter will be equally bad, is it located in the same place as the M59 model i.e. under the dash on the passenger side?

I believe that your being very wise I would think all your service consisted of was re setting the service indicator.
I assume that you have a Mk3 ? the pollen filters are by the drivers knees on the Mk3
You say that you are changed the oil? did you check which oil to use? as this is very important.

--------------------------------------------------------------

2012 Iron Grey XTR 110 with lots of bits and bobs.
I think the air filter service interval is 25000 miles, so unless you are at either at 25000, 50000 or 75000 etc, etc, it won't have been done

i.e if you are at 31000 miles for example, the dealer will assume it was already changed at 25000 and doesn't need to be changed for another 19000 miles
The same would apply to any other service part
Fuel filter at 50000
Cam Belt at 100000

Would you expect both cambelt and fuel filter to be changed at 31000 miles, the only thing they probably would change would be the oil and oil filter
(26-04-2015, 07:01 PM)Trevor Wrote:  
(25-04-2015, 09:26 PM)JT1 Wrote:  Thanks for the replies guys - you've confirmed my suspicions and no, not been driving through bonfires  Smile

I believe that your being very wise I would think all your service consisted of was re setting the service indicator.
I assume that you have a Mk3 ? the pollen filters are by the drivers knees on the Mk3
You say that you are changed the oil? did you check which oil to use? as this is very important.

Thanks Trevor,

I used a fully synthetic 5/30 oil which meets the B71 2290 PSA standards, supplied by my local motor factors. The car is likely to do only about 7k a year but I intend to change the oil annually just in case. The filter was a faff, couldn't get it out of the housing until I read on here 'just twist and pull' which with a bit of persuasion, worked. Had to convert Nm to lbs/ft as my torque wrench is so old it doen't have Nm, it's 18.4 lbs/ft if anyone is interested and my wrench starts at 20...
It is a Mk3 so thanks for the location of the pollen filters, otherwise I'd have spent a few hours looking in the wrong footwell!
Jeremy