Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] valve clearance adjust 1.9D
Have Berlingo M/space Forte 1.9d, with classic cold start problem. Having gleaned all I can from forum contributors, feel that my problem may be the valve clearances. The car has 8400 miles on it, (am wondering wether that may be 184000 miles) so seems to be a bit premature to need valve attendance? Anyway, being old, I'm thinking maybe a garage, (my local independent all round good guy) would take a shot at it for me. Anyone like to suggest a reasonable charge?
As the 1.9D engine uses shims and buckets it is a camshaft out job to make adjustments so it is a job that is best left to when the cam belt is being changed as this includes most of the work to get at the shims.

How much ? I did mine myself some while ago so would estimate £285 for a belt etc change plus 2 hrs labour for the other work ..... just an estimate as I'm not in the trade.

Shims are cheap enough at about £4 each but whilst there is a vast array of sizes to be had you may not get the exact one to give the required clearance per cylinder so a judgement is needed here to choose. I would suggest getting the shim that takes the clearance to the largest side of the tolerance - the valve recession that creates a reduction in valve clearance will continue as time goes by.

If there is no cambelt change imminent there isn't too much work required to remove the covers to take the measurements needed. You will at least have your answers and can plan accordingly.
[+] 1 user says Thank You to geoff for this post
About £80-£120 (parts & labour) at an engine re-conditioners if you can find one that does in-car work, worth getting the cam seals done at the same time.
Mar 2002 Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D 166,000 miles
[+] 1 user says Thank You to ddb for this post
(06-05-2015, 03:45 PM)geoff Wrote:  As the 1.9D engine uses shims and buckets it is a camshaft out job to make adjustments so it is a job that is best left to when the cam belt is being changed as this includes most of the work to get at the shims.

How much ?  I did mine myself some while ago so would estimate £285 for a belt etc change plus 2 hrs labour for the other work ..... just an estimate as I'm not in the trade.

Shims are cheap enough at about £4 each but whilst there is a vast array of sizes to be had you may not get the exact one to give the required clearance per cylinder so a judgement is needed here to choose. I would suggest getting the shim that takes the clearance to the largest side of the tolerance - the valve recession that creates a reduction in valve clearance will continue as time goes by.

If there is no cambelt change imminent there isn't too much work required to remove the covers to take the measurements needed. You will at least have your answers and can plan accordingly.
Thanks so much for the info. Acquired the car only 300 miles ago, seller had trouble cold starting it, and changed (he said) cambelt, water pump, fuel filter, engine oil and oil filter, plus glow plugs, all to no avail,- problem still there, so he jerry(jury?) rigged the glow plug power feed via a separate relay to a power button in the cabin,("turn ignition on, hold button in for a count of twenty then turn engine over") Cold morning starts are scary, as they take so long, it might take two or three goes at counting twenty before it's running, but after that it'll be fine all day, probably only taking a count of five to get it running again. I'm thinking that the battery is taking a hammering, likewise the glow plugs, also the starter motor.
The glow plugs stay on after the light goes out, they last about 20 seconds anyway, mine normally starts either first or second time after waiting 5 seconds extra after light goes out.
(06-05-2015, 04:43 PM)ddb Wrote:  About £80-£120 (parts & labour) at an engine re-conditioners if you can find one that does in-car work, worth getting the cam seals done at the same time.
Thanks for the reply. In my original post, I stated that the mileage on the car 8400 miles, which should have read (I'm sure you twigged it) 84000 miles, but I've started to feel ("maybe it's done 184000 miles?") The clutch pedal bite point is a long way down, the central locking (remotely) doesn't work, the key central locking doesn't lock the passenger door (but you can go round the car with the key and lock everything, the sliding doors can only be opened by reaching behind the front seats and flipping the door locks open then open the doors from outside..... Having said that, I've bought the cheapest lingo in the district and, being old, it's a lot easier to enter and exit than the little Fiat Punto we've been driving. The missus can't drive it as it is, but, once running, it's a nice drive,- good all round vision, smooth, no smoke and as economical as the punto, (all right ,that was no magic carpet either). Thanks again for the reply, but I'm thinking this isn't the way to record "Thanks", is it? I'll click that other box I saw somewhere else....
[+] 1 user says Thank You to Harry-A for this post
Performing a BSI reset might get the door locking in better fettle - the poor thing gets a bit confused, especially if a proper reset hasn't been done after flat or removed battery. The problem is probably worse than that but a reset is free and so worth a try.
(06-05-2015, 06:45 PM)ddb Wrote:  Performing a BSI reset might get the door locking in better fettle - the poor thing gets a bit confused, especially if a proper reset hasn't been done after flat or removed battery.  The problem is probably worse than that but a reset is free and so worth a try.
Right, I've printed the BSI reset stuff, and will try it as soon as is feasible,- thanks again.
How do you do a reset if the key fob is faulty?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Valve clearance adjustment is certainly most likely your poor starting cause. It's quite a job, my C15 van has had it done twice 285000 miles & starts as soon as you touch the key.
We have the original shims ground to a smaller size, I know. Guy with a shim grinder ?.
I always keep any old shims from scrap engines, but ordering them in from a dealers is too time consuming.