Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Engine] Very badly treated Blingo
Nope, still haven't tried a BSI reset.... How about this? In between showers (here in sunny Cornwall) I clicked that joint on the shiny pipe with fabric on it ( 1.9D  2004,DW8B, I've received the reg. doc now) and shoved a, I don't know, a bolt with a plasticky round head which fitted very tightly into the pipe, which I then clamped back up.... It runs a lot nicer, it's not so difficult to start from cold, but is there a vacuum hose or two I should pull off from somewhere as well? Another thing is, having mentioned before, the cold start feed for the glow plugs is achieved with a separate power feed direct from the battery, through a button in the cabin, to a relay, to the glow plug line. I've now found the proper relay fitted, a Nagares unit, which doesn't look like anything I've seen, having all the wires, fat ones and thinner ones disappearing into an even fatter harness, never to be seen again...
Except that, close to the position where you would think of looking for a feed wire for the glow plugs, there's a (thinner) harness, with four fattish wires coming out of it to a plug...  
I have an ancient multitester, an analogue one, with a choice of DC volts 0-9,0-10, or something to50,etc. so turned on the key for a cold start and there was current there, 10v setting, so the needle flew across the dial, for all four wires.  Then it went dead.   Because  
the little cold start heater light went out?  I think so.  I'm very tempted to make something to attach to all four wires at once, and connect the bundle to the glow plugs, thus bypassing the lashup that's there now?
Your shiny pipe with fabric is the EGR pipe

Does your plug on the thinner harness plug into the Nagares unit. ?

On my DW8B there are two harnesses, one fat and one thin going into the relay unit. If the rain stops I'll try for a piccy
[+] 1 user says Thank You to brodfather11 for this post
No, this Nagares relay is a strange creature, with very large, almost battery sized wires, at least 2, as I remember, going vertically up into it, plus some other smaller ones doing the same thing. This is not a rectangular box like affair, with recogniseable large battery connections, (2 of) and a five wire plug socket, - when I unbolted it from its perch, and dragged it wires and all to where I could see it better, it appeared to have, as I said, 2 fat wires going up, along with perhaps 5 or 6,maybe 7 smaller wires, all running parallel to each other... There was a kind of plastic cover over the possible connection area of the thing, which I began to lever outwards to have a peek, but bottled out, and pushed it back on, in case I nackered something, bolted it back in position, until I found out more about it, or got some extra courage, to try again.
Heres  a picture of my set up , its a Nagares relay. It supplies the glow plugs via the big green terminal wire to a connector on the air box, its just a connection point to the glow plug wire. As you see the small loom controls the Nagares glow plug relay. 

The rust around my one may hint of future problems with earth points. Connect yours up and check for a good earth.     

(11-05-2015, 12:02 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  Heres  a picture of my set up , its a Nagares relay. It supplies the glow plugs via the big green terminal wire to a connector on the air box, its just a connection point to the glow plug wire. As you see the small loom controls the Nagares glow plug relay. 

The rust around my one may hint of future problems with earth points. Connect yours up and check for a good earth. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sorry about the picture attempt. Don't know if it'll appear or not... I just my phone down the side of the air filter...
I've never seen one like that before , someone else may know about them.
(12-05-2015, 03:05 PM)brodfather11 Wrote:  I've never seen one like that before , someone else may know about them.

No, I've studied quite a few posts and pics on here and Ebay, trying to identify the setup, but without an easy to understand wiring diagram, I'm still in the dark. Thing is, apart from the anxiety accompany-ing every cold start, (But it always finally goes) it runs really well,- no smoke, no misfiring, fairly economical, (circa 40mpg), I'm thinking that I've probably got a little time chew the fat, so to speak, hoping the improving weather will give me more fiddling time in the near future. Thanks again for your interest.